SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lincoln Conspirators' Gallows Crossbeam is "The Real McCoy" just confirmed  (Read 609 times)
Barry Cauchon

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2011, 11:11:12 AM »

Hi all: After almost two years of trying to confirm if the 35" long pine beam from the Lincoln Conspirators' gallows (housed in the collection of the Kansas State Historical Society) is part of the crossbeam or not, I can state that I believe it to now be 99.9% the real McCoy.

For some time I've doubted if the piece actually came from the crossbeam rather than another part of the scaffold. However, thanks to new photographs supplied to me by the KSHS and comparisons with the original Gardner photographs, I can state that the piece has a very very high probability it is part of the crossbeam.

Of course one can never say that it is 100% verified because there is always a chance of historical fraud or misidentification. But based on the evidence and provenance in hand, and the photographic evidence, I feel safe in stating that this is part of the crossbeam and not another beam from the scaffold.

When the KSHS was informed of the information this morning, they were thrilled with the results. It was a nice feeling being able to assist them with this research and present findings that made everyone happy.
Barry
Barry Cauchon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 12:39:46 PM »

Good word to use Laurie "ADDICTS". LOL.
Thanks so much.
Barry
JohnE
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 04:35:35 PM »

In addition to the photos of the crossbeam, we also attained new photos of the padded hoods.  These are very detailed and will be a nice addition to the book.  Front, sides, top and bottom-looking up.  In regards to the crossbeam, if someone wanted to falsify the beam, they would have really had to know their stuff or at least noticed the rounded edge from high rez photos.  Highly unlikely.  Kudos to Barry for staying on top of that.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: