SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Powell's Final Words ... Fact or Myth  (Read 3151 times)
NJREB1863

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 01:34:21 PM »

I always interpreted Mary's last words, "please don't let me fall", as her asking for assistance when she was standing before the drop, although others believe she meant not to let the drop occur at all. She could have meant either or both. My reasons being she was in a very poor physical condition as she went to her death and had to practically be carried up onto the scaffold.

I'd be interested in what everyone else thinks on her last words.

Tony
chris

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 03:07:58 PM »

I am sure she said these words as to die with some type of dignity
Mark

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 03:53:08 PM »

Didn't a guard have a diary that said two of the four fainted?  It's quite likely that Mary Surratt was swooning.
Dr. Modestino

Good at relieving Yankee paymasters of greenbacks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 06:08:35 PM »

Who is the guard and where is the diary?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:13:44 PM by Dr. Modestino » Logged

"In battle, in the fullness of pride and strength, little recks the soldier whether the hissing bullet sings his sudden requiem or the cords of life are severed by the sharp steel."  Seargent Smith Prentiss, 1847
saxpower

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 09:10:40 PM »

Given she needed to be supported to even get to the scaffold, i'd think she'd need to be supports.  I tend to recall Coxhall's statement said that Mrs. Surratt barely stepped over the break.  That would be consistent with people supporting her- they'd have to be on the "safe" side of the break but still be able to reach her.
historynut1123

A modern-day Lew!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 09:48:38 PM »

Poor Mrs. Surratt, the lady needed to be held up so she could even stand on the gallows.

You know, I have been wanting to say this, and I know I'm thinking with a 20th/21st century mindset and we just don't understand the mores of the time, but here goes: Why a gallows anyway? Why not just a firing squad? It would have been easier and more convenient to just get it over with that way, they spent time, materials and manpower building the horrid thing- and if I were Mrs. Surratt/the boys I would have preferred that too,  Is it because they wanted to put on a big show for the public to discourage treasonable acts? And make them suffer more than they would by a fast volley of gunshots?

"But hark! The doorbell rings and Mr.J.W. Booth is announced. And listen to the scamperings. Such brushing and fixing."-letter of John Surratt, observing sister Anna
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 10:01:38 PM »

I think, soup du jour, was instyle, (during that time.) Depends on what the method of execution was during the day.
States varied, or had options. For example, New Hamphire and Washington State still have hanging on their books today, along with an option of electrocution and lethal-injection.
saxpower

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 10:21:22 PM »

Somehow, i think the idea of soldiers shooting a woman would have not been acceptable.
Roger Norton
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 01:07:36 PM »

Betty, with all the folks you've met and talked to over the years regarding Lewis Powell did you ever have an opportunity to converse with Leon O. Prior?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:09:50 PM by Roger Norton » Logged
Roger Norton
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 01:15:32 PM »

I purchased his 20 page biography of Lewis at the Abraham Lincoln Bookshop long, long ago. I am putting it in my will for you - then you will have two copies.
Roger Norton
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 02:57:11 PM »

Done deal!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: