SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Miscellaneous details regarding Powell's attack on Seward  (Read 13374 times)
JohnE
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2011, 07:36:09 AM »

You're awesome Betty !  Lots of awesomeness going on in this forum.  Great job Linda, Dave and Betty !
Linda Anderson

Fanny Seward

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2011, 07:42:40 AM »

This is wonderful!  Thanks to all of you.
Mark

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2011, 09:14:40 AM »

Did you notice on the site where the photo of the parlor was, there is a photo of a negative ? It looks to be the same room from the opposite angle.

I inverted it in Photoshop. Notice the ragged edge of the collodion, I guess? That would help date it somewhat. It looks wet plate.   I wonder when it first occurred that photos were used as evidence?

I am having trouble uploading. It says the box is full.  I reduced it to 109k  and then 45k but no luck.
Mark

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2011, 10:20:27 AM »

OK, thanks, Betty. 

Hope that works. It looks like wet plate glass collodion which dates it pretty early. Also it is a photo of the neg by a digital camera not a scan which may or may not get better clarity. Pretty fascinating.

Well that didn't seem to work. Here's the url:  http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/oldclubhous2.jpg/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 10:24:45 AM by Mark » Logged
JohnE
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »

I know one book that I have packed away might have hints -- Capitol Losses by James Goode.  Anyone have it?

Hi all, took a look at Capitol Losses when at the LOC images department.  No luck.  Interesting book though.
Linda Anderson

Fanny Seward

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2011, 12:39:03 PM »

Thanks Betty and Mark.  Great photos!

Betty's photo looks like it was taken from the central hallway. There is a writing desk with a bookcase next to the fireplace.  That would match Anna's description of a writing desk in the blue parlor.  Anna also mentions that she acquired a copy of the Jackson equestrian statute.  Does that look like Jackson on the mantel in Betty's photo?  If so, he is probably facing towards Lafayette Square which means that the room would be on the south side of the house or on the right as you come in through the front door.

The carpet with the circular pattern is in the photo taken from the central hall (Betty's photo) and also in the parlor in Mark's photo. I would guess that Mark's photo was taken looking from the front blue parlor to the back parlor.

Of course, this is all conjecture on my part but the photos do give us some idea of how the Sewards lived.
Linda Anderson

Fanny Seward

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2011, 01:45:08 PM »

The parlors were on the second floor so the room to your right as you enter the front door would have been either the library or the dining room.
Mark

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »

Linda,  I just noticed the negative photo in the same group that Betty pointed out. I just inverted it in Photoshop and made it a little sharper. So, it really came from Betty as well.

To me, it looks as if the photographer just turned his camera around and made an exposure in the other direction.  There seems to be a window to the left of the view and then on facing far wall.  In Betty's photo, the window is to the right.

Here is the url to Betty's photo inverted.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/34/oldclubhous1.jpg/

Mark

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 05:05:22 PM »

Sorry, I just thought of something. If you are trying to figure out the floorplan from these pictures, then they need to be flipped horizontally because they are pictures of negatives. If the emulsion was up then the actual photo would read left to right like these links.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/200/oldclubhous1a.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/815/oldclubhous2a.jpg/

I don't know if its helpful but I love playing with old photos.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2011, 05:43:04 PM »

I think it's amazing both Laurie and Betty can recognize hairstyles and the changing trends of the day. I am sure they are correct. I also noticed the women were not wearing bonnet's while outside, something i think Laurie pointed out in my Smoot book.
Dave Taylor
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2011, 07:21:31 PM »

Could one of the gentlemen near the door be William Bell perhaps?  It's fun to speculate...
Linda Anderson

Fanny Seward

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2011, 10:32:23 PM »

Thanks, Mark, for your work on the photos and thanks to Betty for supplying them.

The Sewards bought some furniture for the Clubhouse but Anna wrote to Mrs. Seward in June 1861 that they borrowed other furnishings from the State Dept., such as the equestrian statue of Jackson and the writing desk that belonged to the Asst Secretary of State (Fred).

The picture on the back porch is great, Betty.  Did you notice the birdcage in the window? I wonder if the man looking out the window is Gus.

John M. Taylor writes in William Henry Seward: Lincoln's Right Hand that the person on the right of the column is Fanny so the photo was taken sometime after April 1865 and before October 1866 when Fanny died.
Mark

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2011, 10:50:35 PM »

Wasn't Frederick in a coma for 60 days after the attack?  So June 65 is the earliest it could be. Its a great photo.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2011, 06:00:36 AM »

This is interesting:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jrbakerjr/provost/seward.htm
Mark

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2011, 07:26:19 AM »

Betty, such a great shot.  Photographer?

It is unusual to be so non-formal  like a snapshot.  Is it framed or CDV? Cabinet card?

The double image on the right is strange. Maybe it was a half of a stereo pair.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: