SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Kudo's to Joe Gleason!  (Read 2723 times)
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2010, 02:36:55 PM »

Mucho thanks to Joe Gleason, as when I arrived in Surrattsville thursday afternoon, he met me at the Tavern and took me to Rich Hill, the pine thicket and then wading in the Zekiah Swamp!
Very, very, cool.               Thanks Joe, you rock!

"It was a walking graveyard"
Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:52:16 AM »

Randal,
I'm glad you enjoyed the "mini tour".  Anytime you or any Member of the Forum travel to the DC. area and wish to see any location relating
to Booth's escape please let me know.  I'd be glad to help.  I enjoy doing this as a courtesy and is intended for educational purposes only.
Just a reminder for everyone, The Surratt Museum's Booth Escape Tour sells out faster than a rock concert.  Get ready! 
Bronte

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 12:26:13 PM »

How large is the pine thicket? and do you know how much it has changed since Booth and Herold were its guests? just like I posted on the Surratt thread you guys are so lucky to be able to experience all of this history.I know its there for anyone but it is such a long drive for me that I would have to plan well in advance.Hopefully next year I'll get to take a mini-break and visit a few places that is discussed here.
Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 04:28:30 PM »

I'm not sure of the size of the thicket, but the property today (house, yard and a small pine thicket) is about an acre.  Sometime around 1870 a man
named E.J. Collis bought the property and built a home (which still stands today) on the exact spot where Booth and Herold were hiding.  Their hiding
place also had an old cedar stump in which confederate mail was hidden on it's way to and from Richmond.  Many years ago a large addition was built onto
the side of this home and the present day Collis House is now the kitchen of this of this amazing home.  It is currently a private residence.  Try to work
that trip in.  There are several brand new hotels in the Waldorf area of Charles Co. Md.  From here you are no more than a 15 min. ride to Dr. Mudd's,
Bryantown,Cox's Rich Hill ,the Collis House and Port Tobacco.  Laurie Verge and the rest of the folks at the Surratt Museum are about a 30 min trip.     
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 05:00:29 PM »

Here's s picture that Joe took of me in the Zeckiah Swamp, last Thursday.

Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 05:01:50 PM »

My sincere thanks to computer guru, Roger Norton! for helping me upload the picture!
Thanks Roger, YOU ROCK!

Bronte

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 09:55:38 PM »

Laurie,I see the image that your talking about.I had an experience a few yrs back that got my attention and made me realize that we're not alone and I'm not talking about little green men (lol) the tour sounds awesome hopefully I'll get to take it one day.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 05:51:22 AM »

ahh, a new title, "The Ghosts of  Zeckiah". I'll get right to work on it.! (the burrs in my saddle, bespeak the pain in my heart), oh wait, that's already been written, hasn't it? LOL  Grin

Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 08:32:05 AM »

Laurie , I thought I had good sources of information on this like the comments noted by Samuel Cox Jr. in a copy of J.Wilkes by Thos. Jones.  "An old cedar stump
on the knoll where the E.J. Collis house now stands was used as a deposit for Confederate mail ".  On a later page he writes "  The spot were Booth and Herold were hiding is were the Mary Tinker -Collis house now stands".  In J Wilkes ,Jones also says "the exact spot".  One other source I have is Mrs. Burch.  A couple of years ago ,In my attempt to locate the orignal structure,(the pencil sketch in J Wilkes) I was told by Mrs. Burch that I was sitting in the Collis house. It is now her kitchen.  At the time I was not aware of the stump mail and she took the time to explain that somewere within the outline of that original structure was the location of that stump and the exact spot where and Booth and Herold were hiding.  Is there a source for the belief that they were not there, other than they were moved futher into the pines after  hiding at the Collis house location? 

Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 05:30:47 PM »

Laurie ,
Are we talking about the area near Wills and Crystal Lanes?  If so, I understand where your talking about.  As for the second part, I'm in , but I'm not quite sure why
distance part is is important.  Can you help me out ?
Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 01:01:23 PM »

Laurie,
There was a public road back in 1865 that extended from Bel Alton to Allens Fresh.  I found a deed while resarching land records in my search for the Ghosts of Zachiah,
(aka Charley). Wink  The deed is for a parcel of land purchased by Samuel Cox in 1867.  It clearly descibes the property as being bound by the old public road that leads from Bel Alton to Allens Fresh.  Today that road is called Mudd Rd.  It is directly across the street from Rich Hill, home of Samuel Cox.  It no longer extends to Allen Fresh.
I'll make you a copy if you'd like.  PS.  you guys knock it off about the ghost stuff.  I still have to go down there alone and I'm gittin skeeered. Cry  Oh, and where do I find
any remarks made by these two men, I'd like to read that.   
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 02:30:18 PM »

Beware Joe! There were things I saw in the swamp that I didn't tell you about!

Randal

leaycraft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 07:09:55 PM »

I have a couple of thoughts about this area from the recce that I did the Thursday before the conference when I worked my way form Newport to Rich Hill.  I encourage you Joe to do the route that way then we have to talk.  I havent had time to research my ideas but I hope to have some info to post before I come down for the BET on the 10th.  BTW Joe I may give you a ring up to meet up when I get down to MD.
Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 07:36:57 PM »

Randal,

I'm trying to digest the information regarding the Owens-Adams statement that Laurie sent to me.  Thank you Laurie.  Rick Smith encourages those who read the
statement to read it again ect. to maybe gain a different perspective on the way the statements are written.  So I'll post on it tommorw. I wanted to leave you with something that was said to me by the kind gentleman who lives on the farm where I took your picture.  Luckily the search area is not very far into the swamp because he told me "Should you find yourself not out the swamp by nigthfall and your unable to find your way out, you can yell as loud as you like ,there's nobody to hear you scream. As if that's not bad enough, he then shows me a stick about five feet in length and says "oh ,you might want to take this to.  How encouraging.

Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »

Joe,
Stop it!
Now I'm skeered!

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: