SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Was there another woman at the hanging?  (Read 2046 times)
Steven G. Miller

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2012, 07:55:30 PM »

The following article, from the SUN, concerns the hanging of the conspirators. Similar and shorter versions appeared in papers in the PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER, the GRAND RAPIDS PRESS, and the ANACONDA (MT) STANDARD.

“Saw Mrs. Surratt Hanged. Mrs. Priscilla C. Dodd, widow of General, dies in Pittsburgh,” THE SUN (Baltimore), May 20, 1916.

“Mrs. Priscilla C. Dodd, widow of Gen. Levi C. Dodd and the only woman who witnessed the hanging of Mrs. Mary E. Surratt in Washington on July 7, 1865, died in Pittsburgh, Pa., Thursday at the home of relatives.

“Her body will be brought to Baltimore today and taken to Gore’s undertaking establishment at 1723 West Lafayette avenue. Funeral services will be from Babcock Memorial Presbyterian Church at 3 P.M. tomorrow and burial will be in Greenmount Cemetery.

“Mrs. Dodd was 83 years old and for the greater part of her life was a resident of Baltimore. After General Dodd retired from the army he was for years the Southern purchasing agent of the Standard Oil Company, with headquarters here. He died some time ago, but his widow remained in this city until last fall, when she went to Pittsburgh.

“Her husband was on duty in Washington at the time of Mrs. Surratt’s execution for complicity in the assassination of Lincoln, and she secretly viewed it.”
Kate Larson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 08:29:02 PM »

This is very interesting. I wonder if the Maryland Historical Society may have something, considering she lived mostly in Baltimore. Or his papers?

Barry Cauchon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 01:37:31 PM »

Hi all: When Steve presented this to me the other day, I was thrilled. Although I'm still looking for the reference (John believes it is in Mike's American Brutus) I believe I've read that Mrs. Dodd assisted Rath by sewing the execution caps/hoods. That being said, puts her in the Arsenal performing a serious task regarding the execution.

So for people attending the execution, the count seems to now be
WOMEN - 3
MEN - 300 to 500?

Barry
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 06:27:53 PM »

Looking through Kauffman's massive references in AB, I couldn't find a reference to Mrs. Dodd. Embarrassed

"It was a walking graveyard"
Kate Larson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 09:10:11 PM »

I wonder if Mrs. Dodd helped sew the other hoods, or maybe even the hoods for other condemned prisoners over time? I am still curious as to why Mrs. Dodd was there, versus someone else that was closer to Anna.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 06:04:28 AM »

Great article Betty!
Which brings up again, did Rath "utter" the words for the drop, or make "silent hand-claps" to signal the prop-knockers?
In this article, he states he spoke. This was a debate earlier.
Barry, you read this?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 06:31:51 AM by Randal » Logged

Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 09:06:19 AM »

There is an article that Joan wrote with Mr. Hall, and it's in the version you guys are editing.

Steven G. Miller

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 07:23:48 PM »

Here's a small item that I found

McKnight, William James, JEFERSON COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA. HER PIONEERS AND PEOPLE, 1800-1915. Chicago; J.H. Bears & Co., 1917. Pg. 47

“Mrs. Priscilla C. Dodd, wife of Gen. Levi A. Dodd, was the only woman who witnessed the hanging of Mrs. Mary E. Surratt in Washington, D.C., July 7, 1865, General Dodd was on duty in Washington at the time of the execution, and Mrs. Dodd secretly viewed it. She also cared from Mrs. Surratt’s young daughter for some time after the hanging. Mrs. Dodd was born in Brookville, Jefferson County—where she spent her youth, and there she married Dodd, who ran a hardware store.”
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: