SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New York Times Lattimer Article relevant lines underlined  (Read 1501 times)
Barry Doohan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 06:55:08 AM »

Where do you find a cadaver to shoot at?

I was lucky enough to meet Dr. Lattimer years ago. He was as kind and gracious as you would ever meet. Many of his stories about his collection were amazing. I believe he stated one of the reasons that his Lewis Powell knife was the 'real' knife (vs. the Huntington knife) was that Lattimer's knife had alligators on the pommel and since Powell was from Florida..... I know he had the provenance of items investigated before he purchased them but was not all that bothered if the provenance was later disputed.

A really unique gentleman.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 07:15:31 AM »

Being a doctor/surgeon, I'm sure he had connections or sources for cadavers. Maybe Dr. Houmes can elighten us?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:18:25 AM by Randal » Logged
Houmes

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 09:44:18 AM »

Posted by: Barry Doohan  Where do you find a cadaver to shoot at?

Posted by: Randal    Being a doctor/surgeon, I'm sure he had connections or sources for cadavers.

Dr. John Lattimer was chairman of the department of Urology at Columbia University, in New York City.  Columbia is one of the top-ranked medical schools in the country, and Lattimer was a legendary urologist, former chairperson or leader of virtually every major urology professional group world-wide, founded the subspecialty of pediatric urology, etc., etc.   He had multiple resources and as a collector, blended these opportunities into research more easily than others could have ever dreamed.  Example: when the House Select Committee on Assassinations reinvestigated President Kennedy's death in 1976, Lattimer reportedly supplied them with ammunition for their research, because he'd bought up every available bullet remaining from the lot number that included Lee Harvey Oswald's supply.

Cadavers are available for legitimate purposes.  We have a "cadaver bank" at our local university that supplies colleges and other medical schools in the Midwest.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 09:51:16 AM »

Thanks for that, and I ain't looking to buy one! Maybe Barry is!  Grin
jonathan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 11:28:28 AM »

This is the kind of story and individual that's fascinating to me. The kind of person you'd love to sit down with for an afternoon or two and have them just tell you what they know. It's such a shame that most people rarely take advantage of this kind of knowledge and experience. It seems that our knowledge gained would far outweigh the cost of a little time and gas money. I had a great Aunt who died at 100 years old who had seen so much and knew so much, and from time to time I kick myself for not spending some time just listening to her talk. I could have learned so much about what preceded me, from someone who was there to see it all.

"I try not to break the rules, but merely to test their elasticity" - Bill Veeck
Barry Doohan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 02:51:23 PM »

Not looking to buy - a shovel is all I need.

But seriously, not having a medical background it struck me as bizarre that someone not associated with law enforcement could obtain a body for experimentation no matter how valid its purpose. I recognize that Dr. Lattimer had a purpose for this test. 
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 02:58:26 PM »

"Not looking to buy - a shovel is all I need."  Grin Grin Grin

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: