SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Was Booth a coward?  (Read 5073 times)
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »

Google Carlos Haftcock. I knew him before he died and work with his younger brother today. He was a trained assassin by our armed forces.

"It was a walking graveyard"
Rob Wick

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2012, 03:23:41 PM »

Of course we train assassins. But again there's the difference. Our government uses those groups in furtherance of our foreign policy. The president has to approve any attempt to assassinate a foreign leader. Our opponents know this. They are therefore able to take precautions. How was Bin Laden able to live all those years before we finally got him?

I'm getting blue in the face saying this. Booth, et al were a group of cold-blooded assassins doing this on their own. Whether it was for political beliefs or what ever else one wants to believe is not relevant. It was out and out murder and nothing else matters. The burden of proof that it wasn't is on those who make the claims.

I have to say that I'm pretty well run out on this subject. Unless there's something someone writes that I feel I need to answer, I'm done on this topic.

Best
Rob
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 03:28:00 PM by Rob Wick » Logged

Using the internet since the 1990s to avoid actually getting something accomplished.
BoothBuff
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2012, 03:31:07 PM »

I agree. Nothing was sanctioned with the opposing force (that we know of for certain), Powell had taken the oath of allegiance and the others thought military bearing was something that made a wagon wheel go around.  Great thread.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2012, 03:41:34 PM »

Rob, NO, you ain't going anywhere. You started this topic, so your going to see it through, come Hell or highwater. Sad

Rob Wick

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2012, 03:45:37 PM »

Unless there's something someone writes that I feel I need to answer, I'm done on this topic.

Using the internet since the 1990s to avoid actually getting something accomplished.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2012, 05:04:14 PM »

C'mon Rob, I've started posts that were guaranteed to "fire people up" and I was outnumbered 10 to 1 like you are, but I saw the thread through. Wink It's ok, really! Grin

Dan

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2012, 07:36:15 PM »

Make that 10 to 2. I agree 100% with Rob!  Grin
Rob Wick

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2012, 07:47:43 PM »

Actually Randal, I wasn't trying to say "I'm taking my ball and going home." All I was doing is accepting that there's really little more I can add to the discussion that would be of any value, but if someone said something that I felt needed a response, I would do so.

Thanks, Dan. Maybe we should get jackets made or something. Grin

Best
Rob

EB

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2012, 08:01:40 PM »

Actually Randal, I wasn't trying to say "I'm taking my ball and going home." All I was doing is accepting that there's really little more I can add to the discussion that would be of any value, but if someone said something that I felt needed a response, I would do so.

Thanks, Dan. Maybe we should get jackets made or something. Grin

I'm pretty much a nobody on this forum when it comes to knowledge and opinion, but could I have a jacket too? Because I also agree with Mr. Wick.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2012, 08:03:32 PM »

Thats fine by me, but please explain why EB and Dan. I'm curious.

jonathan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2012, 08:08:43 PM »

Hey, hey now. Nobody said anything about jackets! Depending on how cool they are, I might be willing to change my opinion. Wink

"I try not to break the rules, but merely to test their elasticity" - Bill Veeck
Rob Wick

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2012, 08:16:01 PM »

It always comes down to the jackets. Cheesy

Glad to have your support, EB, and please, my father didn't even want to be called Mr. Wick. Rob is just fine.

Best
Rob

Christine

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2012, 08:57:35 PM »

I've thought about this all day yesterday and today and have to cast my lot with Rob.  Yeah, I'll put Booth in the coward category.  I think he acted partly for his own aggrandizement.  He wanted to be a hero.  He wanted to be known as more than an actor.   

In our state during the last month we had 6 police officers shot, one killed,  while they were serving a drug search warrant.   A couple of high school kids were arrested for plotting and planning to blow up their fellow classmates at school.  The drug dealer and high school would-be-bombers all felt they had a legitimate gripe against the world.  Cowards act in defense of their own agendas.  Does a terrorist show courage when he blows up a bunch of kids? 

To me it took courage for those officers to do their job.  It took courage for the high school kid who learned of the plot to go to the authorities and save hundreds of lives.  To me courage is taking a stand for what is right despite the risks.

I know somebody will say Booth thought he was right and that he therefore falls within that definition.  But cold blooded murder is never courageous.  He didn't wear the uniform and risk his life in the trenches of the war like hundreds of thousands of other men and boys so he doesn't deserve to shoulder the title of courage those men and boys showed during 4 years of horrific war, while he lived high.

Just my opinion. . .

EB

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2012, 09:00:31 PM »

Thats fine by me, but please explain why EB and Dan. I'm curious.

Sadly, I'm not articulate enough to articulate why I agree. But this quote from ROB kind of sums it up:

"His reasoning for not serving as a soldier also doesn't wash with me.  (ME EITHER!) There were plenty of soldier's mothers on both sides of the equation who asked their sons not to go. (AMEN!) If Booth believed in the Southern cause so strongly, he should have been one of the first to enlist. Yet he stayed behind."

As for all the smart aleck bravado he allegedly showed while limping around inside the burning barn at Garrett's farm, I suppose that was "gutsy", but it seems to me it was just another of his performances. 

Basically, to oversimplify my truly deep and profound views on this, I feel that shooting an unarmed man in the back of the head is a cowardly act, no matter how much "guts" (and liquor) it took to do it.

. . . Just my opinion.  Now where's my jacket?Huh?
Rob Wick

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2012, 09:07:29 PM »

EB, you're plenty articulate.

Also, thanks Christine.

I also meant to say something to Herb but it slipped my mind. I can't imagine working in either New York or South Central L.A., but to work in both takes a special kind of courage, and you, sir, have it in spades.

As for the jackets, Randal is in charge of procurement. Wink

Best
Rob

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: