SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Surratt Society 2012 Conference - Looking forward to seeing you all  (Read 11054 times)
Steven G. Miller

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 08:57:02 PM »

Jill just offered to Photoshop me into the shot . . . but that would be cheating, wouldn't it?
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 09:01:55 PM »

Yeah, kinda like "googling" answers for trivia.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:04:37 PM by Randal » Logged

"It was a walking graveyard"
Linda Anderson

Fanny Seward

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »

Kudos to Laurie, Lindsey and everyone else from the Surratt Society who put together the 2012 Conference.  My husband and I had a wonderful, fun time meeting everyone and listening to the great presentations. And the cherry trees were blooming!

We went to Mount Vernon on Tuesday which was wonderful.  The Museum and Education Center are amazing.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:47:30 PM by Linda Anderson » Logged
Linda Anderson

Fanny Seward

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2012, 01:55:14 PM »

I don't know but they have spent their money well.

Frederick Seward writes in Reminiscences of a War-Time Statesman that it used to be the custom that "when a navel vessel or passenger streamer came abreast of Mount Vernon, the flag was lowered in salute, the engine stopped, and the bell tolled as the streamer drifted slowly past the home and grave of George Washington."

"While the Civil War was raging, the banks of the Potomac were the scenes of many bloody conflicts. Armed vessels patrolled the river. Fortifications were erected along its heights. Armies encamped along its shores. The sound of cannon or musketry daily echoed over its waters. Homes and fields were abandoned by their owners for none felt safe against the raids of the scouting or foraging parties of the Union or Confederate troops.

"But there one one exception. Both sides respected Mount Vernon. Neither army sought to occupy or fortify it. No foraging or plundering took place within its precincts. The old furniture stood peacefully in the old rooms. The old trees stood unharmed in the old groves. It was the one bit of neutral ground in that long and bloody war."
kharv

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »

I don't know but they have spent their money well.

Frederick Seward writes in Reminiscences of a War-Time Statesman that it used to be the custom that "when a navel vessel or passenger streamer came abreast of Mount Vernon, the flag was lowered in salute, the engine stopped, and the bell tolled as the streamer drifted slowly past the home and grave of George Washington."

"While the Civil War was raging, the banks of the Potomac were the scenes of many bloody conflicts. Armed vessels patrolled the river. Fortifications were erected along its heights. Armies encamped along its shores. The sound of cannon or musketry daily echoed over its waters. Homes and fields were abandoned by their owners for none felt safe against the raids of the scouting or foraging parties of the Union or Confederate troops.

"But there one one exception. Both sides respected Mount Vernon. Neither army sought to occupy or fortify it. No foraging or plundering took place within its precincts. The old furniture stood peacefully in the old rooms. The old trees stood unharmed in the old groves. It was the one bit of neutral ground in that long and bloody war."

That is a very interesting history tidbit about Mount Vernon Linda!  Never knew that.
Linda Anderson

Fanny Seward

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2012, 06:41:47 AM »

I didn't know that either until I read Fred Seward's book.  It really shows how both the Union and the Confederate govenments both felt they were fighting for the country of George Washington.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: