SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: KILLING LINCOLN / NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC  (Read 5899 times)
Loomings

"SIC SEMPER SCRIPTORES!"

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2012, 09:43:53 AM »

Having spent hours reading and enjoying this remarkable board, I'd like to dedicate this topic to the upcoming production for NatGeo.  This production promises a unique dramatization of the assassination and a level of authenticity and accuracy never before seen in cinematic treatments of the subject.  As the writer/producer of this project, I would love to post questions here - to take advantage of this community's remarkable access to obscure facts and points of view.  In other words, I'd like to use this network of amateur and professional scholars to help me to insure that this production is as definitive and satisfying as possible. 

I'd like to thank Laurie Verge for pointing me toward this board and look forward to a fun and mutually satisfying experience with y'all!

It's a privilege to be here!
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 09:52:56 AM »

Welcome!

"It was a walking graveyard"
Loomings

"SIC SEMPER SCRIPTORES!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 10:20:08 AM »

Thanks, Randal.

So...here goes...

Does anyone have data -- descriptions, images, etc. -- regarding Lincoln's sleeping quarters on the River Queen?
Loomings

"SIC SEMPER SCRIPTORES!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 11:46:56 AM »

Thanks, Laurie.  That's a truly helpful response.  I'm on it!

Mr Hess

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 08:05:25 AM »

So when are they going to broadcast this???
Loomings

"SIC SEMPER SCRIPTORES!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 08:12:36 AM »

This will be broadcast in February of 2013.
John Stanton

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 02:35:07 PM »

Try Google - River Queen (steamboat) Has Pictures of Boat, Pics of Lincoln in Conference, Links, sources. Rarely do I trust Google for facts - but it is a beginning. I now know it was a "Sidewheeler" and some history. Gives the builder's name etc.  GOOD LUCK!!!!.  Come back when you need help.
Loomings

"SIC SEMPER SCRIPTORES!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 03:16:41 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Stanton.  I have dug fairly deep via Google and am still dry.  Hunting down some of Ms. Verge's leads.  I'll report my findings.
Loomings

"SIC SEMPER SCRIPTORES!"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 10:02:15 AM »

Does anyone have any information on the FIRST meeting between David Herold and JWB?

Beyond Herold's claim that they met when JWB had the "bullet" removed from his neck...
Barry Cauchon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 01:17:16 PM »

Hi Looming: I wish you well on your film. This community craves accurate depictions of the Lincoln assassination and is so often disappointed by the results. Documentary maker Tom Jennings spoke at the 2012 Surratt Society Conference and stated that the networks push for 'Docu-tainment' nowadays (and although I can't remember the exact percentage he mentioned, their expectations equate to about 30% history, 70% entertainment content). I hope you can avoid that dilemma in your project.

Can you list some of your other questions so as people read this posting, they can pick and choose what they can help you with. Regretably for me, the first two questions are outside of my expertise. But if you hit upon one that does fall within my ballywick, I'll be happy to assist.

Best
Barry
Loomings

"SIC SEMPER SCRIPTORES!"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 05:21:08 PM »

Thank you, Lindsey.

Now...I wonder if anyone can help me with details regarding the shooting range at 9th & Pennsylvania Ave...?

Loomings

"SIC SEMPER SCRIPTORES!"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 07:44:55 AM »

Thanks again, Laurie!  Will follow up and report.
BoothBuff
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 07:45:43 AM »

Hello and welcome, Loomings. If you're looking for references of Booth's shooting at a D.C. gallery, I distinctly remember reading one and I think it was in "Lust For Fame". I went through it last night, but couldn't find the reference. I'll check again today. I think the name of the gallery was mentioned as well as the owner. I vaguely remember his going up against a competition shooter and getting the better score, being able to shoot behind his back and upside down.    
Loomings

"SIC SEMPER SCRIPTORES!"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 07:57:56 AM »

Thank you. I suspect the reference you remember is in regards to a shooting display of his in Boston, but I might be mistaken...
Roger Norton
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 08:06:20 AM »

Here's an article from the New York Times dated November 20, 1910.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:08:15 AM by Roger Norton » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: