SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: KILLING LINCOLN / NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC  (Read 5498 times)
Roger Norton
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2012, 04:57:07 PM »

Hi Gene. I have generally trusted the opinions of the pros like Mike Kauffman. Ed Steers, and William Hanchett.

In note #13, page 429, in American Brutus Kauffman terms Crook "an unreliable source."  

In Ed Steers' encyclopedia, Dr. Steers writes, "Historian William Hanchett has shown that these (i.e. Crook's) recollections and other reminisces Crook writes about fall into the myth category, related at a time late in Crook's life when there was no one left alive to refute them.....Because of this Crook cannot be considered a trustworthy source on the events surrounding Lincoln's assassination."

It's unusual for Kauffman and Steers to agree on anything, but they both do agree on Crook. And so does Dr. Hanchett. Also, add Fred Hatch to the list of skeptics (see Tom's post in the Sunday Survey thread).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 05:17:53 PM by Roger Norton » Logged
Gene C

Fido

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2012, 07:28:06 PM »

Thanks Roger

The more you know, the more you think the less you know, because you know that you don't know.  The less you know the more you think the more you know, because you don't know that you don't know. 
 (Not bad for an old dog)
Loomings

"SIC SEMPER SCRIPTORES!"

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »

Does anyone have any inkling regarding the pic of General Lee that Robert gave to Lincoln at breakfast?  I'm wondering if it's anywhere recorded which pic it was...
Loomings

"SIC SEMPER SCRIPTORES!"

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2012, 10:24:20 AM »

Here's one:  i recently read something about the Grover's theater production on April 14.  Aside from Aladdin, there was something else -- some sort of recreation of a battle or some such stage-craft extravaganza planned.  BUT I CAN'T FIND THE REFERENCE BECAUSE I DIDN'T NOTE IT DOWN AT THE TIME!

Can anyone help?

Roger Norton
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »

I don't know what the source is, but there's mention of something here.

I skimmed Helen Palmes Moss' article in Century thinking there might be something in there; I didn't see anything, but if you have it, maybe you'll see something I missed.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:16:03 PM by Roger Norton » Logged
Loomings

"SIC SEMPER SCRIPTORES!"

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2012, 12:22:03 PM »

THAT'S IT!  Thanks, Roger.

Loomings

"SIC SEMPER SCRIPTORES!"

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »

Here's another one:

What is the consensus here regarding what Booth was wearing WHEN HE PULLED THE TRIGGER.

I apologize if this topic is elsewhere covered, in which case I ask to be directed to the proper thread (pun intended).
BoothBuff
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2012, 03:50:02 PM »

Jospeh Hazleton's account is the only one I've seen that mentions specifically what he was wearing. He was startled by his dress, as when he saw him in the afternoon, he was dressed "in the height of fashion." The black suit is a given I think, but JH described the high riding boots and a blue flannel shirt. Frank Leslie's paper carried an artists sketch of Booth's recovered hat.

BoothBuff
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2012, 05:20:44 PM »

Hazleton's statement.

http://www.historyforsale.com/html/printfriendly.asp?documentid=84446
Loomings

"SIC SEMPER SCRIPTORES!"

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2012, 09:46:49 PM »

Does anyone have pics of the Ford brothers?  Particularly of Harry and James?
Roger Norton
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2012, 03:06:25 AM »

Ed Steers included photos of all the brothers in his assassination encyclopedia (pp.213-214).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:09:32 AM by Roger Norton » Logged
Loomings

"SIC SEMPER SCRIPTORES!"

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2012, 08:26:41 AM »

Ah. And of course I didn't look there!
Thanks.
Loomings

"SIC SEMPER SCRIPTORES!"

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2012, 10:01:59 PM »

Can anyone verify O'Reilly's "claim" that Mary gave her husband a copy of Julius Caesar on April 13th?

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:17:26 PM by Loomings » Logged
Roger Norton
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2012, 04:49:05 AM »

Here is one reference regarding this, although the "context" is not the same (with reference to her giving it to Abraham):

On April 13 Mary wrote a note to Charles Sumner which said:

-------------------------------------------------------

The volume of "Julius Caesar" has been brought to the house, you will doubtless have much pleasure in reading it - General Grant, will be here this evening, & if you are disengaged, we will be pleased, to have you visit us. The Marquis, would, very probably be interested in seeing him - And I am going to have the Genl drive round & see the illumination. In great haste, very truly,
                                            Mary Lincoln

-------------------------------------------------------

(Laurie, notice all the commas!)

The note comes from the Turners' book on Mary's letters.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:15:43 AM by Roger Norton » Logged
Loomings

"SIC SEMPER SCRIPTORES!"

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2012, 07:37:51 AM »

I imagine that's a reference to:

In March 1865 John Bigelow, U.S. minister in Paris, presented Lincoln with volume 1 of the new 'History of Julius Caesar' by Emperor Napoleon III. Volume 2 had to be presented to Robert Lincoln the next year.

http://www.alplm.org/blog/2012/03/revelations/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: