SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Lewis Powell book?? (wink)  (Read 804 times)
jonathan

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2012, 09:14:29 AM »

I've just finished reading a very interesting book called Alias "Paine": Lewis Thornton Powell, the Mystery Man of the Lincoln Conspiracy. Perhaps some of you have heard of it?? Seriously though, Betty, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Anybody here who hasn't read it and wants to learn more about Powell, you should find a copy and have a look. I would say it certainly puts to rest that old misconception that Powell was a simpleton, and it very much re-enforced my personal belief that he didn't really need Herold to lead him out of Washington after the attack on Seward. This is just the kind of book I wish existed for Atzerodt and Herold. These are the kinds of things that get lost in history if somebody doesn't step to the plate and save it the way Betty has.

"I try not to break the rules, but merely to test their elasticity" - Bill Veeck
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 10:43:59 AM »

No, it was mentioned in another post when I said I was working on that subject. So no, you didn't "spill the beans".

"It was a walking graveyard"
jonathan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 02:49:35 PM »

Ahh, sounds good, love to learn more about any of those guys. I got diverted for a while on some WWII stuff, but ready to to jump back in a little bit here. Got Alias Paine under my belt, and Come Retribution is sitting here waiting. I have soooo far to go to catch up to everybody else. lol

"I try not to break the rules, but merely to test their elasticity" - Bill Veeck
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 07:28:57 PM »

I've got a good title Betty. That's about all!  Wink Someday.. Someday... Fred  A.  is a real gentleman and it was a pleasure speaking with him. Most of my info/leads/photos have come from you and the fine folks of this forum  Laurie,Randal,Dave,Roger and Joe and I'm thankful.

I'm looking forward to getting that signed copy of Alias Paine at the 2013 conference.

Dan
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 06:44:22 AM »

Hi Betty,

Dave was very kind to share some information on old George and I have passed it on to Fred. I think you are on to something. I've seen Dave's research results and the article he wrote in the Surratt Courier. I think he would be much better suited then I to tell old George's story!

I'll send you a message.. I have hit the proverbial stonewall as far as research and could use your advice.
Barry Cauchon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 12:22:39 PM »

Betty's awesome! Can't wait to see you again next year Ms. B.
b
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: