SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rebel Yell  (Read 738 times)
BoothBuff
« on: April 23, 2012, 02:21:59 PM »

Film clip from the 1930's showing some Confederate Vets demonstrating the Rebel Yell.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/video/What-Did-the-Rebel-Yell-Sound-Like.html                                                                                                                             
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 02:43:34 PM »

If you tape it, and play it backwards, it says "turn me on deadman"etc Wink

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:51:31 PM by Randal » Logged
BoothBuff
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »

I have no idea what you mean, but I'm gonna slam a few Yuenglings and try that. It sounds cool.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 03:00:22 PM »

If you play "Revolution #9", off The Beatles White Album, that's what it says, serious! uhh, a few yuenglings won't hurt either

go here to hear it! LOL!

http://kingtet.com/number9.htm
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:51:57 PM by Randal » Logged
Gene C

Fido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 03:29:24 PM »

Personally, Fido and I like this one of the guy without his shirt who lived in the jungle and swung through the trees.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHWbsvgQue

Since the link doesn't seem to work try....googling....youtube Tarzan yelll
(sorry we spoilled your surprise)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 05:39:12 AM by Gene C » Logged

The more you know, the more you think the less you know, because you know that you don't know.  The less you know the more you think the more you know, because you don't know that you don't know. 
 (Not bad for an old dog)
Jim Page

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 07:10:24 PM »

Hey, All--

I was surprised to hear that the real Rebel yells, at least as shown in that remarkable film, is nothing like what I imagined it to be. I thought it would be more of a "yeee-hah," though why I thought that I can't say.

One of my relatives, who still lives in Florida, sent me a PDF recently of my great-great-grandfather's pension request and records, and I was surprised that a former CSA soldier received a state pension for that service. Peyton Page served as a private in Company A, 3rd Regiment, North Carolina Calvary, assigned to Lee's Army and was discharged on June 10th, 1865, at Appomatox, Virginia, on "account of end of war-- and surrender of Lee." His application included several documents and affidavits from former CSA vets attesting to his service.

The state of Florida paid him, beginning in 1925 and until his death a few years later, $40 a month.

I never would have imagined that CSA vets received pensions.

--Jim
Rob Wick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 01:39:24 PM »

Jim,

They had to receive state pensions because federal pensions were unavailable.

Best
Rob

Using the internet since the 1990s to avoid actually getting something accomplished.
Jim Page

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 02:25:55 PM »

Rob, as long as they got paid, and not in Confederate currency, I guess all was well!

--Jim
Rob Wick

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 03:21:12 PM »

Rob, as long as they got paid, and not in Confederate currency, I guess all was well!

Grin

Best
Rob

Using the internet since the 1990s to avoid actually getting something accomplished.
Philip G

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 05:07:23 PM »

Cross Thread, LOL

It might be interesting to compare the difference in the screams of the teenage girls of a Beatles concert in 1966 in Memphis vs. Shea Stadium in Queens, NY.

Forgive and be Forgiven.

Sara Watkins
Gene C

Fido

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 06:23:04 PM »

Regarding federal pensions:

Can a person involved in an armed insurecton against the United States now get a federal pension as a result of participating in said insurection, or would they be excluded and have to depend on the state?   Does this restriction only apply to southerners?

This seems discriminatory.  I contacted my presidential canidate about this burning issue.  He pledged, that if elected, he would look into this, but not really do anything about it for 4 years, or until he was up for re-electon.  He would then whine about it and blame the problem on congress, or the previous administration (whichever was politically expediant at the time)  When re-elected, he would probably still not be able to address the issue because he would have to deal with the crisis with the school lunch program to have gritts allowed in school lunches as a vegetable.

On a seperate note, I heard the Know Nothing party was making a resurgence.  Several members of congress are going to switch parties.  Only problem, now the Know Nothings have to many qualified canidates.     For those who couldn't qualify for the Know Nothing party, there is still hope.  Many of them have joined the Know-It-All party. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:16:07 PM by Gene C » Logged

The more you know, the more you think the less you know, because you know that you don't know.  The less you know the more you think the more you know, because you don't know that you don't know. 
 (Not bad for an old dog)
John Stanton

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 11:15:51 AM »

Please allow me a serious comment on the Yell. Years ago I was a reenactor in Gray. At all events there had to be a demonstration of the yell. There just had to be. At the signal, several hunderd -Blues and Grays - cut loose. Virginians, Carolinians, Alabamians, Pennsylavnians, Yorkers, everybody. It didn't sound "South", "East","Texan" or anything else. It was Great.  It sounded mean. Like I said - it was Great. After that when someone asked two or three of us to demonstrate, we couldn't. How can we sing and sound like a Symphony Concert Orchastra? It can't be done. When it's done right - it's great. It starts low at one end of the line  - moves along the line getting louder, until it reaches a creshendo, and tapers off at the other end.  You actually feel it, rather than hear it. Thus, please don't ask two or three to demonstrate the Yell.
It's Sacred.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: