SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ford Theater Attendees  (Read 920 times)
GLGrening

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2010, 04:30:09 PM »

I am helping an elderly woman trace her great grandfather, Emil or Michael Adelsheimer.  According to family history he was at Ford Theater the night Lincoln was shot.  Is there some on-line source or book which lists who was at the theater that night?

Thanks
Steven G. Miller

Thanks, Bob!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 06:06:46 AM »

Is there an online source or book that lists all of the theatre goers at Ford's on Good Friday, April 14th? No, not to the best of my knowledge. Several researchers have attempted to compile a list, and Timothy Good assembled a collection of eyewitness accounts, but it's unlikely that an accurate roster will ever be created. There were several hundred people who were there; some estimates place it over 1,000. And, as with the death of Lincoln's assassin, there were many more who say they were there, too. I've often commented that if all the people were present at Garrett's Farm who claimed they were, it's likely that Booth would have died of suffocation.

Your best bet would be to check family documents, newspapers where the gentleman lived to see if there were any interviews and try to determine if he was in Washington at that time. Barring any other proof, the matter will probably have to remain Unknown.

Hope you find the answer to her question.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 07:48:15 AM »

I checked Tim Good's acct, and didn't find his name.
rich smyth

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 10:42:06 AM »

The Hazelton, PA historical society ocassionaly gives walking tours of a local cemetery. They point out the grave and family plot of Robert Sinex who was supposedly not only in attendance at Fords (guard duty) but present when Booth was finally cornered. There is quite a bit of information on Sinex. He was a soldier and stationed in Wash, DC at that time but no other documentation other than family tradition (and a Phil. newspaper obit) that says he was present. I am uncertain why so many people made those claims then, it is not like people today claiming to have been in Dallas for JFK's assassination...though more than one person I know has claimed to have attended Woodstock and I have found out later to the contrary. Curious.
GLGrening

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 03:30:34 PM »

Thanks for the response.  I will pass the information on to her.  We do know that he was living in Maryland in 1862-63. He was arrested for stealing a horse and buggy Cheesy Don't know if he was convicted or not.  He died in 1907 in North Carolina.  Thanks again.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 03:35:03 PM »

I did see yesterday where he was arrested, but didn't want to mention it!  Wink
Roger Norton
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 12:22:42 PM »

Laurie sent this link and asked me to post it.

CLICK HERE.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: