SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Honor to Our Soldiers scan---hi REz  (Read 711 times)
asobbingfilm

Mr President, Can I get you a table or a Booth?

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2012, 01:27:16 PM »

I am looking for a hi rez scan of the song Honor to Our soldiers. I have managed to find the first page( I have no idea where) in the format required but the last two are escaping me. I have a photocopy of the entire piece but the quality is poor. Can anyone  save me a little time and point me to a link or can anyone share one if they have it. I have recorded a new version of the song and want to have the sheet music for a video idea.

Thanks

David
emma1231

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 08:49:34 PM »

The NPS at Ford's Theatre has the sheet music in Withers' own hand, and I trust that photo copies can be ordered.  (They'd prob. have to make negatives first, which they ought to have, anyway, for safety's sake!   They got it from Withers'' brother's (Reuben Withers) great neice, who donated it in 1968.    The music has already been recorded, you know.     Just the music was recorded by a Civil War Band outfit, and it's  avail. as a CD, with other ditties.  It was also recorded with a female soloist and , as I recall, perh. a chorus, as part of an opera called "Lincoln & Booth," by Richard Chiarappa of CT.  The performance of the song was done as a rehearsal on the afternoon of the assassination. It is avail., I believe as both a VHS and a DVD.   Not sure about just a CD.  If you need to get in touch with Chiarappa, I can furnish the contact info.   I don't think it's very expensive.  Perh. something like $20.  WHy do you need it, if I may ask?
Jim Page

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:02:09 PM »

Some of the Civil War songs had beautiful melodies; don't know if this is one of them.

I remember our first-grade class (1958) in Pascagoula, Mississippi, practicing singing six or eight songs for a Confederate Memorial Day pageant. We practiced those songs for weeks, and the one that stands out in my mind to this day (54 years later) is "Eating Goober Peas."

I wonder if that holiday is still celebrated in any of the Southern states?

--Jim
Roger Norton
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 05:51:40 AM »

I have a copy of Richard's musical on VHS tape. I would be happy to lend it out to anyone. Some of my favorite scenes were those involving the Carter girls at The Trappe.

Being a retired school teacher, of course I have no real interest in places like The Trappe. Heaven forbid.

However, kudos to Richard who is the only person I know who researched and discovered the actual names of the Carter girls -  Mattie, Molly, Sarah, & Agnes. I believe he made this discovery with the help of Mr. James O. Hall.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:05:03 AM by Roger Norton » Logged
asobbingfilm

Mr President, Can I get you a table or a Booth?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »

I have recorded a new version sung by a young lady who is a fine opera singer from San Antonio now livivng in New York. It is part of the Sobbing of the Strong Soundtrack. I need the scan for the video Im doing. I have a photocopy but that just wont do. It must be a scan. Already sent a request to FT-NHS but IM looking in other places as well. I found page 1 of it but cant find the other 2.

I already have every version recorded that I know of Including the versions already mentioned. BUT the version I have recorded is well, something SPECIAL. I cant wait for you all to hear it when the soundtrack is released. Its coming but symphony musicians are so expensive
--STAY TUNED !!  

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 10:28:28 AM by asobbingfilm » Logged
rich smyth

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:51:05 AM »

Hi Roger,

In my notes on The Trappe I had an undated copy of a Bowling Green census form with the following inhabitants listed:
Martha Carter     66 engaged in housekeeping
Martha A. Carter 32
Mary E. Carter    32
Sally F. Carter    27
Agnes G. Carter  26
Mercer P. Carter  22
John ? Carter       5
Are these the wrong Carter's?
Roger Norton
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:05:28 AM »

Hi Rich,

I think they are the right Carters, but I do not know for certain. I exchanged e-mails with Richard Chiarappa back in 2010. At that time he told me that he had learned the names of the Carter girls in a file that Mr. Hall had sent him. This would have been in the mid-1990's when he was writing the show.

Go here for details of his musical.

So Martha Carter was listed as a housekeeper? I suppose...

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 10:14:38 AM by Roger Norton » Logged
Roger Norton
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 10:18:26 AM »

The census did not spell out what kind of "house" Mrs. Carter kept!

Maybe Randal will know.
rich smyth

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 10:48:49 AM »

Is he the "housekeeping" expert?
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 11:32:56 AM »

I have never frequented one of those places Roger!
Anyone seen my wallet?
Gene C

Fido

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 11:37:20 AM »

All I ever got from "housekeeping" was an extra towel
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:39:04 AM by Gene C » Logged

The more you know, the more you think the less you know, because you know that you don't know.  The less you know the more you think the more you know, because you don't know that you don't know. 
 (Not bad for an old dog)
rich smyth

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »

Extra towell - lol !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: