SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: JWB Escape Route Tour  (Read 963 times)
Rick Miller

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2012, 08:18:38 PM »

My wife and I are looking forward to our trip to Clinton MD tomorrow to go on the JWB Escape Route Tour this Saturday .   Anything special we need to look for ?   Hope the weather is nice .

Rick 
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 04:27:22 AM »

It will be about 80 and a little cloudy, but thats perfect. Have a blast! If John Howard is your narrator, tell him I said "hello"!

"It was a walking graveyard"
cparker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 11:46:25 AM »

Rick,

My wife Renee and I are new owners of Cleydael in Virginia. We love the tours and look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Charlie
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 12:07:09 PM »

Laurie,
Are you going to be there at 6:30 a.m. To greet them?

"It was a walking graveyard"
EB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 06:46:49 PM »

And may I add that the Parkers have been very warm and welcoming to our three bus tours so far.  We really appreciate their letting our participants tour the interior of Cleydael as the work goes on in restoring the house.

I'd like to second that. I was on one of the tours in April (It was FANTASTIC!) and our stop at Cleydael was a great part of it. So, thank you to the Parkers.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:48:51 PM by EB » Logged
cparker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 10:00:05 PM »

Laurie,
Do you have a contact at the Smithsonian?
Rick Miller

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 01:25:30 PM »

Just got back to Raleigh .  The tour was outstanding  ---It was nice to meet John Howard , who did a terrific job explaining the whole story and all the thousands of details .   John, I hope you had a safe drive back and I look forward to meeting you again some day. 

Laurie---I did pick up a copy of  "My Thoughts be Bloody" and several other books from the Surratt Gift Shop  ...sorry we were not able to meet , but I'm only 4 1//2 hours away so hope fully I'll get back up there next year if not before.   

The Parkers are doing a great job fixing up Cleydael . I took some pictures of what they have done so far.  The new roof looks nice.   BTW Thanks again Renee for the "roof shake and nails" 

Rick

Roger Norton
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 07:59:15 AM »

Laurie sent these two photos. They originally came from a student at Northern Virginia Community College. Laurie included the following note:

"These photos show the view of the Potomac that our Booth Tour participants see from atop the banks at Loyola Retreat House.  The second photo is the tiny creek at the base of the cliff where the boat was hidden.  It goes immediately into the Potomac."

John Stanton

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 08:00:19 PM »

In case there is someone who is not sure of what they are looking at in the top pic. This is a view of the river, just about what Booth was facing as he left Maryland. The tip of Mathias point is out of the pic. to your right. (upstream) and across the river. So, he left from the bottom of the clift, to your left and paddled about due west on a line that put him at the mouth of the Nanjemoy.  Jones' direction would have sent him off to your left - to Quesenberry. I'll debate anyone that he went in the direction that HE WANTED TO GO.  The bottom pic,you are facing almost due North. The Potomac is behind the photographer. The shadow of the tree is about North.  I inite you to come see for yourself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: