SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the Top 10 Books on Lincoln Assasination (and related subjects)  (Read 1481 times)
Gene C

Fido

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2012, 03:06:57 PM »

In your opinion, what books belong in the Top 10 regarding the Lincoln Assasination?

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:31:20 PM by Gene C » Logged

The more you know, the more you think the less you know, because you know that you don't know.  The less you know the more you think the more you know, because you don't know that you don't know. 
 (Not bad for an old dog)
Jim Page

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 03:33:33 PM »

What a great topic!

The book that first piqued my interest was the Jim Bishop one, The Day Lincoln was Shot. Another one would have to be Twenty Days, by the Kunhardts.

Michael Kauffman's The American Brutus was a great read.

There are a lot of books I picked up that don't have the assassination as their main subject yet were wonderful for their sense of time and place. Margaret Leech's Reveille in Washington would be one of those, as is Mr. Lincoln's City by Richard Lee.

--Jim

jonathan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 03:35:39 PM »

Well I think it goes without saying that Killing Lincoln is #1. Right? Right?? Grin

"I try not to break the rules, but merely to test their elasticity" - Bill Veeck
Philip G

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 05:12:09 PM »

We could probably get 100 different answers, but here's mine in no particular order:

Lincoln Murder Conspiracies, Hanchett
MS: An American Tragedy, Trindal
Great American Myth, Bryan
Come Retribution,Tidwell etc
Death of Lincoln, Laughlin
Day Lincoln was Shot, Bishop
A Lincoln: Last 24 Hours, Reck
Blood on the Moon, Steers
American Brutus, Kauffman
We saw Lincoln Shot, Good

I purposely excluded authors who are very active on this website and I  tried to include a cross section of books.
But hard to get agreement on this one!!

Forgive and be Forgiven.

Sara Watkins
BCorbett1865

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 05:26:32 PM »

I have a bunch that I could put in the top 10, but I would have to say my favorite was Emerson Reck's book A.Lincoln:His Last 24 hours. Even though Bishop's book lacks footnotes I still regard it as one of my favorites so his book would be a close 2nd.

Craig
Jim Page

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 06:32:10 PM »

Laurie mentioned Gen. Lee's City. Great book!

Thirty years ago, not knowing any better, Patty and I walked the mile-and-a-half from the Richmond state capitol to the Poe Museum, and I was draped with a large Nikon camera bag. When we got to the museum, the wonderful folks there asked if we drove or if we took a cab.

I said that we walked from the Capitol building, and they said in horror, "And you made it here ALIVE?!?!?"

--Jim
jonathan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 09:05:25 PM »

I realize it's a different kind of book, but I think it's worth mentioning that I love The Lincoln Assassination Encyclopedia by Steers. Especially for those of us who are new to all of this, the Envyclopedia is a very very nice thing to have sitting on the bookshelf.

"I try not to break the rules, but merely to test their elasticity" - Bill Veeck
Jim Page

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 09:40:11 PM »

Well, one happy result of this survey, at least for me, was to learn of Oldroyd's assassination book, and of the section regarding his walking tour of the Booth escape route. Many of the other books mentioned I've read at one time or another.

I found Olyroyd's book on the web and just completed that tour portion, and it was fascinating. The photos were amazing.

I'll tackle the first part of the book later this weekend.

Thanks to those who've responded with their recommendations!

--Jim
Nan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 04:05:51 AM »

Beware the People Weeping: Public Opinion and the Assassination of Abraham Lincoln by Thomas Reed Turner is one of the most informative books I've read on the subject.

Nan
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 04:28:31 AM »

Beware the People Weeping: Public Opinion and the Assassination of Abraham Lincoln by Thomas Reed Turner is one of the most informative books I've read on the subject.

Ditto!
Mr Hess

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 04:30:00 AM »

2 oldies that are still good reads:

The Great American Myth by George Bryan
Myth's After Lincoln by Lloyd Lewis

Weichmann's autobio (printed in 1975) is a good one too
Barry Doohan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 09:03:30 AM »

My favorites in no particular order are:

Oldroyd - Assassination of Abraham Lincoln
Kaufman - American Brutus
Steers - Blood on the Moon
Steers - The Evidence
Steers/ Pittman - The Trial
Meserve - 20 Days
Ownsbey - Alias Paine
Roscoe - Web of Conspiracy
Surratt Society - Body in the Barn, In Pursuit of, From War Dept Files, etc.
Eisenschiml - Why Was Lincoln Murdered

While I don't consider the Eisenschiml book to be accurate and that most, if not all, of his arguments have been proven wrong, consider their impact on much of the Lincoln assassination literature since their publication. As such, I think reading Why Was Lincoln Murdered provides a good basis for understanding their premise rather seeing them as bits and pieces.  Also, I don't know whether The Surratt Society publications are considered books but I don't believe a serious student of the assassination should be without them.
Roger Norton
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 11:46:13 AM »

I will admit, however, that being raised a military brat, it just makes sense to me that the kidnap plot was viewed by the Confederates as a political and military necessity.

I have often wondered - did the WHOLE THING begin at the Parker House in late July 1864?

My question is obviously off topic, and I apologize, but it's one of those questions that I've wondered about for a long, long time. No need for anyone to respond under this topic.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:59:18 AM by Roger Norton » Logged
emma1231

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 11:24:07 AM »

YOu asked for 10. That's not fair. There are so many.   These eleven are the best, but not always my favts.

Turner's "Beware the People Weeping (I'm cheatring here with an extra one -- Tom's "The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln." Both are excellent. Great perspectives
Hanchett's "The Lincoln Murder Conspiracies." -- sets us straight about so many things and puts them in the right focus.
Ownsbey's book on Lewis Payne -- nothing beats it for a diff't perspective and its original research. A fasicinating character study.
American Brutus -- really gets into Booth's head and has the best footnotes of any book on the case. It's by far the best.

Mad Booths of Md.  A classic. Kimmel was a pioneer.  His revised edition has great appendixes or supplements. It's well written.
Blood on the Moon -- is so easy to read and understand, and has great footnotes.
The Great Amer. Myth -- Has great topics and discoveries.
Lewis' "Myths After Lincoln" -- paints great pictures and very informative. A wonderful read.
P.S. Nora Titone's book has possibilities. Believe it or not, I am just starting to read it!

Arno Press' reprint of the conspiracy triial A valuable research tool.  (as long as you use my index!)
Steers' book "The Evidence."

Here are some  of my favts that are  not on my list of top ten, but they have some great material and value:
 "Web of Conspiracy" 
"THis One Mad Act."
Borreson's "When Lincoln Died"
Bishop's The Day Lincoln Was SHot"
"Manhunt" bec. it's so well written
The Goodrich's book (I forget the title) also bec. it's so well written and paints a great picture. (Btw, the authors spoke at the 2005 Lincoln Forum and were invited to submit their talk to the editors of the Fordham Univ. book, "The Lincoln Assassination -- Myth & Memory, etc;"    They declined, bec. some of what they said was not in their "script" and they didn't want to take the time to put it all together for the editors and provide footnotes.   I do not fault them at all for that.   I know fr. personal experience how much work that would have entailed!     But their presentation  was exceptional --- and all the more remarkable since Mr. Goodrich had a high fever.   What a  pro he was.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 11:45:42 AM »

Here's my list:

1. American Brutus - Kauffman

2. Beware The People Weeping - Turner

3.The Web Of Conspiracy - Roscoe

4. Lincoln's Assassins - Chamlee

5. The Mad Booth's of Maryland - Kimmel

6. The Assassins Accomplice - Larson

7. Alias  Paine - Ownsbey

8. Blood on the Moon - Steers

9. 3 Vol. Poore Set, (with Richard Sloans index)

10. The Great American Myth - Bryan

And believe it or not, (this will make Betty wince) Mask For Treason by Shelton, as it points out the difference between the bastardized Pitman transcripts, versus the Poore rendition. There are a few more, but 10 was the limit!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: