SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the Top 10 Books on Lincoln Assasination (and related subjects)  (Read 1482 times)
Nan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 01:44:50 PM »

3 Vol. Poore Set, (with Richard Sloans index)

Hey Randal: Is the Poore set a transcript of the trial? Can you also inform us novice collectors about the differences (strengths/weaknesses/between the trial records (Peterson Bros and Pitman versions)?  

I'd appreciate any other opinions on which is the best (most accurate and informative) source.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:46:31 PM by Nan » Logged

Nan
Jim Page

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 02:46:01 PM »

Thanks also to those who recommended Bryan's The Great American Myth. I'm reading it now for the first time and Bryan was a very interesting writer. Some of his asides and descriptions are so acerbic!

--Jim
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 03:39:40 PM »

Nan,

What it boils down to is, there are 3 versions of the 1865 trial transcripts:

1. The Pitman Report by Benn Pitman
2. The Conspiracy Trial for the Murder of the President, by Ben: Perley Poore
3. The  T.B. Peterson version, which was taken verbatim from the Philadelphia Daily Enquier

The Pitman version, was edited from what was actually said in the courtroom by Col. Henry Burnett, one of the prosecutors. It was "tailored" to fit the governments side.
The Peterson version is the complete testimony of what was said in the courtroom, albeit, with horrible mis-spellings.
The "Poore" version is as acurate as the Peterson version, but without the mistakes and mis-spellings.

I learned long ago not to use the Pitman version in citations, instead, I use the Poore version.

As I mentioned previous, the book "Mask for Treason" by Vaughn Shelton does a remarkable job of comparing the versions, with side-by-side statements, comparing the other versions.

Call Sandra at the James O. Hall Library, and ask for a copy of  "The Three Versions of the Testimony in the 1865 Conspiracy Trial" by John C Brennan. It was published in the Surratt Society News (Now the Surratt Courier) in March, 1983. There may ne a nominal charge, but Mr. Brennan explains the differences in much more detail than I have.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:47:48 PM by Randal » Logged
Nan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 03:21:51 AM »

Great info.  Thanks, Randal. Smiley

Nan
asobbingfilm

Mr President, Can I get you a table or a Booth?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 11:48:58 AM »

Francis Wilson's John Wilkes Booth: Fact and Fiction of Lincoln's Assassination  This book is well known but doesnt get many top ten nominations. I enjoyed it and it provided me a voice over for Lucinda Holloway. Trying to secure a copy as I borrowed it from a University library when I read it.  John Carol Powers book (funeral) I found as a PDF as did I find Gen Townsends. Both are on my ipad now and they were FREE !!!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: