SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday Survey for May 6th., 2012  (Read 482 times)
BoothBuff
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:02:36 PM »

Welcome to the Sunday Survey for May 6th., 2012
     Randal has asked me to fill in for him. (One more and I win a toaster!)

Some discussion here on Booth and his stay at The Parker House in July, 1864 got me thinking. Booth dropped everything from that time forward in regard to his career, oil speculations and any planning for his own future. He collected his last paycheck at the end of May after a successful one month run at the Boston Museum. He immediately went to Baltimore and started looking for his first recruits to enlist in his plan to kidnap Lincoln.

David Herold told people if this thing panned out, he was going to Spain with a "barrel of money". George Atzerodt told people the same, only he'd have enough money to buy Port Tobacco. Actor Samuel Chester was also promised money by Booth if he enlisted in the kidnapping plan. Booth apparently promised anyone involved a large financial reward, but he was financially strapped himself. He may have received some money from Confederate operatives in Montreal in Oct., 1864, but by Jan. 1865, he was borrowing money from O'Laughlen. So, the question is...

With the kidnapping plan in shambles and any hopes of delivering Lincoln to Richmond for a big payday dashed, what motivated Powell and Herold to go forward with Booth's murderous plans on April 14th.? 
Philip G

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 11:26:13 AM »

It seems DH was seduced by JWB's magnetic personality.  Reading Betty's response, I wonder what Powell really thought of Booth, I believe he called him captain but did he think Booth was a competent leader or an out of control loose cannon. 

Forgive and be Forgiven.

Sara Watkins
BCorbett1865

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 01:55:28 PM »

From all that I have read on Powell I will have to agree with Betty. I believe that he sincerely thought that he was acting in the capacity of a soldier when he went to Seward's house that evening. As far as Herold is concerned, he is always portrayed as being some simple minded youth, but I find that hard to believe. He might have been star struck with Booth, but I don't think that he was that stupid where if he thought that there was no chance of escape he would have continued with the plan. I believe that he had confidence that Booth knew what he was doing, and had a solid plan. I think that his big mistake was not considering the impetuous behavior of Booth. Just a few of my thoughts, though we will probably never know for sure what went on in the minds of Powell and Herold.

Craig
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 03:23:31 PM »

I thought the "cap" comment was aimed at Hartranft as he said, "I want you to die quick" and Powell responded, "you know best cap". or something like that! Huh
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 04:29:51 PM »

oop's, my bad! I meant Rath. Thanks for clearing that up! Wink
My memory is like the ol' gray mare....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: