Peterson House - White House Body Bearers

<< < (3/7) > >>

Roger Norton:
I totally agree on the confusion you allude to. My understanding is that there were doorways connecting Ford's to the building that housed Taltavul's on all three floors. Is it possible to get to the State Box by exiting Ford's, walking over Taltavul's, and then re-entering Ford's into the passageway in back of the State Box? Is that what you are suggesting? Once again, I admit to being confused as to the method Laura Keene used to get into the State Box.

BoothBuff:

Is it possible to get to the State Box by exiting Ford's, walking over Taltavul's, and then re-entering Ford's into the passageway in back of the State Box? Is that what you are suggesting? 

Yes. From looking at the restoration book, there were doors connecting the two buildings on all three floors, but I didn't see one near the box.

John Stanton:
I'm drawing on a memory 25 years old. As i recall, you come to the door that was held shut by the stick. That lets you into a small passage way, and the Box is to your left, with a door that had a peep hole ( - to see Lincoln). Since Lincoln's Box is actually two boxes, when he isn't there, there is a door for the second box in that left wall.  At the far end of the passageway is another door that leads to the back of the building. I assume that, that is where the doors to the next building would be.  Anyone see anything other than that?

BoothBuff:
     That's what so baffling about how Keene got there, John. The contemporary sketch that was in the papers of the "anteroom", "hallway", or whatever you want to call it, only shows two doors - both leading into the boxes. Nothing on the rear wall.

Jim Page:
Here's a plan of the Lincoln theater box from The Great American Myth, if it would be helpful.

--Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page