Peterson House - White House Body Bearers

<< < (6/7) > >>

BoothBuff:
     So it sounds like Keene went into the south addition and up to the lounge on the second floor that had an entrance into the theater behind the dress circle. I don't see any other conclusion. Nice job with that, Roger. You're like a hound dog with this stuff.

Roger Norton:
Joe, I find the whole situation in the box very interesting. Here's one example. Author Thomas Mallon implies that Rathbone felt he could have done more in an attempt to save Lincoln. Rathbone saw Booth approach and had a full 5 seconds to act. But Rathbone was upset with Lincoln because of all the dead soldiers from the Civil War, so he just sat there because he wanted it (i.e. Lincoln get what he deserved) to happen. Then, as soon as the shot is fired, Rathbone regrets his feelings and makes an attempt to stop Booth. Rathbone then lives the rest of his life knowing he (1) let the assassination happen but (2) still regretted his inaction during those critical 5 seconds. Does Mallon have it right? Who knows.

Mallon's book is historical fiction and an interesting read, in my opinion.

BoothBuff:
     I have a hard enough time keeping up with the real story, Roger, never mind fiction! Even if Rathbone did see Booth approaching, Hanscom had entered shortly before. Rathbone was very courageous in his actions and his story is one of the saddest. 

J Madonna:
Does anybody know who gave the order to remove Lincoln from the theater?
It always seemed to me that if they were not going to bring him where he could get medical treatment, that bringing him to a well lit stage, would have been a better option than a cramped room across the street.

J Madonna:

I was thinking that the theater would have a table somewhere in the prop room or in an office to lay him on for examination. Sheets and bedding could be brought in later. It would have also eliminated the threat of burning down the theater if Lincoln was being treated there.

It seems to me they were moving him out in a blind panic and no one was there to take charge of the situation.  When they took him into the street they seemed to have no idea what to do with him and when they heard "Bring him here" from the Peterson House, they headed for the port in the storm.

I doubt a stigma had anything to do with the situation. Wasn't the theater a church before being converted to a theater? That should have lessened the stigma.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page