What if Boston Corbett had not fatally shot Booth?

<< < (3/10) > >>

BoothBuff:
     Steven, I've re-read your post again, and it was filled with information that shows how much time you've invested and how well versed you are in the Corbett story. You are an expert, in my opinion, on Corbett. Since I've been a member here, I've formed opinions on matters I'd never had before, changed some opinions on other points, but for the life of me, I just can't wrap my head around the notion that that screwball actually shot Booth.

I realize it's 72 years old, but Stanley Kimmel makes great points regarding Booth's suicide in the Mad Booth's of Maryland. I feel that Booth shot himself. He told Jett "If they don't kill me, I'll kill myself." The autopsy results stated the ball had a downward trajectory, from the front to the rear. Just what would be expected if Booth shot himself. It was absolutely possible for Booth to use that revolver on himself. He wrote "Don't let me die like a criminal", which he surely would have if he had surrendered. His refusal to surrender and his arrogance and defiance rule out suicide by cop for me. I think after he saw those screaming Yankees jerk Herold from that door, he knew it was over and refused to give them the satisfaction of manhandling and degrading him. Corbett was a mercury addled lunatic. I've never seen a statement by him that he only intended to wound Booth and Booth limped because of his broken leg and that caused the fatal wound. If there is no statement, then that theory is nothing more than speculation. Please unload with both barrels, because this will be a hard sell.     

Randal:
Joe,

Read this:
 This is taken from ALOL interview with Blaine Houmes, who by the way, wrote an article with Steve, regarding this.

When Booth is finally confronted, he resists arrest and invites the bullet that took his life. Why do you call this "suicide by cop"?
Dr. Houmes: This situation goes by different names: assisted suicide, victim-precipitated homicide, police-assisted suicide, or suicide by cop, and has been recognized for years. It only started appearing in the police and medical literature in the past 30 years or so. What it means is that under the right conditions, when people are under the influence of drugs or medicines or are psychologically disturbed, they provoke a law enforcement officer to shoot them. It usually happens when someone confronts the officer, who in turn must act to protect his or her own life or others nearby.

We know that John Wilkes Booth did not shoot himself from the work of the late Dr. John Lattimer. His studies compared the autopsy report on Booth with the neck vertebrae removed during the examination. These bones are now in the collection of the National Museum of Health and Medicine, in Washington, D.C. From the angle of the bullet path and the direction of entrance and exit through his neck, it's quite clear that someone else shot him.

Booth fits this profile well, especially if you consider his alcohol intake in the last year of his life. He was drinking the night of the assassination in Taltavul's tavern next to Ford's Theatre, just before he went up and shot President Lincoln. If you consider that, and his previous, almost histrionic outbursts with his family and others, as well as how upset he was with the Southern cause and the statements he made to the soldiers at Garrett's farm, it's entirely reasonable to consider this as being probably what happened.

BoothBuff:
     Duly noted, Randal, but I still don't buy it. 

Booth was drinking at Taltavul's, for sure. 12 days before he died.

Booth fits this profile well, especially if you consider his alcohol intake in the last year of his life. He was drinking the night of the assassination in Taltavul's tavern next to Ford's Theatre, just before he went up and shot President Lincoln. If you consider that, and his previous, almost histrionic outbursts with his family and others, as well as how upset he was with the Southern cause and the statements he made to the soldiers at Garrett's farm, it's entirely reasonable to consider this as being probably what happened.

He may fit the profile, but I still don't buy it. His egotistical pride, his statement that I'll do it myself, etc., scream to me he did it himself. His outbursts with his family happened months before he murdered Lincoln. Moot points, in my opinion.

We know that John Wilkes Booth did not shoot himself from the work of the late Dr. John Lattimer.

I will admit to not being familiar with the exact results of Dr. Lattimer's findings, but didn't he also say it was impossible for Booth to have shot himself? Not so - by a long shot.

I just can't buy this. Put the 16 oz. gloves on, boys. Nothing is gelling for me yet.   

Randal:
I'm clueless into why you stated this:

Booth was drinking at Taltavul's, for sure. 12 days before he died.

So, the witnesses that stated he was drinking  that  night were incorrect?

Booth was a fine and atheltic actor, however I don't think he had the  time  to contort himself, to be able  to to put the pistol to the back of his head for the angle the bullet transversed.

William Richter and Rick Smith wrote a good article regarding this very subject for the Courier this year, and if the poweres that be don't mind, I'll post it on here.

However, the "evidence" that Booth shot himself is, I'm afraid, "underwhelming"

BoothBuff:
    I mentioned the 12 days quote from the last paragraph of your post # 12 because I can't see how it matters. I believe he was drinking on the 14th. and may have even been drunk, judging from Crawford's statement, but I've never heard of him drinking at Garretts.
     Unless I'm missing something (it happens to me a lot here), the autopsy report states the ball traveled downward and to the rear. If it entered from the right side or front, it's entirely possible that Booth shot himself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page