SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: What if Boston Corbett had not fatally shot Booth?  (Read 3065 times)
BoothBuff
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2012, 09:56:09 PM »

That said, there is no way in god's little green acres that I will ever concede that it was a suicide or that the bullet came from the front.  

Laurie - I truly feel like I'm back sassing the teacher here, but if Dr. Woodward said the trajectory of the bullet was  downward and backward,  (towards Booth's back) why is it so far fetched to believe the bullet came from the front?

And Steven - I am truly prepared to be kicked in the pants by you. Get crackin', son! I come here to learn and have made no assertions that I am an expert in anything but derailing threads. I am very interested to hear anything you have to say that would persuade me to believe that that screwball actually shot Booth. (C'mon, Steve - the guy cut his marbles off with a pair of scissors - can you really expect me to believe anything he said?)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:01:07 PM by BoothBuff » Logged
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2012, 10:05:41 PM »

Rick,

Regarding my "ridiculous" accusations, I felt you denigrated, as you say, Steve and Blaine in your notes following the article Bill and you submitted to me. This was wholly my OPINION (that you, the authors, "dissed" Steve and Blaine) I let Bill know this, and I believe, I informed you. Both of you denied this.

I requested an article from Richter and Smith, which they sent me for publication in my second issue of "Occasional Papers". They sent the article in question, and I dismissed it out of hand because of the Miller/Houmes's references, and I believed it wasn't "logical" or "practical", and too time-consuming in my opinion, for JWB to shoot himself in the manner both describe.

Actually, I'm dismayed at your response. I have always had the utmost respect for you and I could not have published "Shall We Gather by The River", without your tremendous insight on the subject of the Lincoln assassination, and editing skills, the same skill's I'm pretty sure Bill Richter relies on.

The article that appeared in the Surratt Courier, is different than the one you sent me, (for publication, on January 3, 2012,) and is different than the one you and Bill Richter sent S.S. (Scumbag Stelnick) for publication on "American Suite 101".

I sent Bill Richter an email on January 4th, that I was concerned and dismayed, that he disputed Steve and Blaine's previously published article,  ""The Death of John Wilkes Booth: Suicide by Cop?" American Journal of Forensic Psychiatry, Vol. XXV, Issue 2, 2004.

Here is a reply Richter posted January 25, 2012.

"No, Laurie, ever since Randal threw out the article by Rick Smith and me on whether Booth could have committed suicide which was to appear in the Occasional Papers, vol 2,  because he and I had a snit over his comment to me on the "True Story Your Teacher Did Not Tell You" section of the Forum, I am not here. Randal says he is sick and tired of my irreverent remarks and wants to put up no more with me. So he replaced us with the Miller and Houmes article that is much more to his liking as to what happened. I think that is censorship and stifling of discussion, but what do I know. . . ."

Also in an email regarding my opinion of you and Bill's "dissing" Steve and Blaine's "Suicide By Cop" article, I questioned why both of you would rely on Major Ruggles narrative over Emory Paradys account, in your "notes".
Here's the email:
----- Original Message -----
To: Randal Berry
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 10:02 AM
Subject: Re:

Randal,

Thanks for letting me know.

What did you think of the article?

Rick
On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Randal Berry <lanceheads@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
I liked it, well written as I expected from both of you gent's, but was wondering why you put emphasis on Ruggle's narrative instead of Emory Paraday?* Paraday was at the barn, Ruggle's wasn't, and recalled his story 35 years later.

Randal

* I spelled his name wrong in this email. It's Parady

Your response:

----- Original Message -----
To: Randal Berry
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 11:42 AM
Subject: [SPAM]Re: Re:

Randal,

Glad you liked the article.  As you saw, our point is to prove that JWB could have manipulated the Colt Army Model in such a way as to shoot himself, not that he did or did not.  This opens up the door for questions as you point out.

I guess the best answer as to Paraday is that while he was at the barn, he really did not see anything as regards the shooting, only heard a shot.  Unless I missed something, I was not aware that we mentioned Ruggles.

I did notice that several of those who post on your site agree that Booth shot himself.  That was surprising.

Glad to hear that your Dad is improved.

Thanks for accepting our article for publication in the Paper.

Take Care,

Rick

Here is where you and Bill mentioned Major Ruggles:

5. Ingraham, Prentiss (ed.), “Pursuit and Death of John Wilkes Booth,” The Century Magazine,  as cited in Steven G. Miller, “Death of an Assassin: Homicide, Suicide, or Something Else,” in Lincoln-Assassinztion.com, splash page. The full citation is: The Century Magazine, 39 (No. 3, January 1890), 443-49, with Booth’s desire not to be taken alive and Ruggles’ belief that Booth killed himself rather than be captured on 446.

Also I noticed, you didn't address one single question in your diatribe to Steve Miller, instead, you "danced".
I am disappointed in your disparaging remarks to Steve, and that is not your demeanor, or at least the Rick Smith I know.

And Steve,
"My questions still stands and to ask it is not ungentlemanly. Will Bill raised the specter of lawsuit for violating the copyright on the article. I think the copyright protection is a reflection of the paranoia the blog is steeped in. Does he (or you) think your argument is so special that folks need to be hauled into court and punished in order to protect the specialness of the piece?"

I don't believe Wild Bill has the knowledge of law, that his felony-convicted "associate" has.

Randal

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:31:59 PM by Randal » Logged

"It was a walking graveyard"
Rick Smith

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 05:58:25 AM »

Randal,

Regarding my response to Steve; he threw down the gauntlet and I picked it up.  The article which was sent to you was the same one sent to Laurie Verge; you may refer to her on this point.  The article sent to Stelnick had an extra paragraph which Bill felt was important to include.  I am not a copyright attorney, so I cannot comment on copyright laws.  If there is no copyright, as you and Steve believe, then there is nothing preventing you from using the article Bill & I wrote.  In any case, there is nothing hidden from public view; anyone can read the article on the Suite 101 web site.  If Stelnick does have the copyright, I am not saying that I am happy about it.  Thanks for the compliment regarding your book, "Shall We Gather At The River."  I truly enjoyed contributing to that work and appreciate your asking me to do so. If the occasion ever arises, I would be happy to help you again.

Steve,

I still cannot see how you found anything which Bill & I wrote to be offensive.  The article is there for anyone to read.  I would appeal to all members of this forum to read the article, if they wish, and then decide if there was anything in it which could give offense.  Certainly, none was ever intended.  You admit that we did not attack you and say that you "guess" that we treated you in a gentlemanly way.  You are being overly sensitive by saying that Bill & I judge you to be naive and wrong headed and that we think your research was faulty.  We did not say this or believe this.  I feel from your response that the issue resides in your being upset over your Suicide By Cop theory being challanged.

The whole business is a tempest in a teapot.

Rick
BCorbett1865

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 06:15:12 AM »

Ladies and gents, here is my take on this subject for what it is worth. John Wilkes Booth was going to fight his way out of that barn or die in the attempt. Let's look at the facts. He offered to fight Doherty's whole command. Obviously he knew what the odds were and realized that this was going to be the end for him. However, perhaps he reasoned that once outside the barn he might by some miracle make his escape in the dark. If not he would die honorably. Booth was a vain man. His surviving letters attest to this. I do not believe he would have killed himself, or for that matter even consider it regardless of what he might have said in some heated moment probably under the influence of alcohol. Also, I believe that Corbett acted out of a sense of duty just as he always had in the past. An example would be when he refused to surrender to Mosby's men until he had exhausted all of his options. His case is a complicated one but I have no doubt that his bullet killed Booth.

Craig
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 07:43:59 AM »

everyone except me Grin

BoothBuff
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 08:03:09 AM »

I actually started it, Mrs. Verge. (Student sheepishly hangs his head as he walks to the Principal's office). It is a hot button issue and I've enjoyed both sides. I enjoyed Steve's suicide by cop theory and I also enjoyed Bill and Rick's article. It is disappointing that this got a little nasty, but I honestly can't see why. I thought Bill and Rick presented their scenario respectfully and it appears to me both articles were only presented as another possibility.

There will never be a final answer to this and I just like to hear as much as I can in case I'm missing something new. I apologize to anyone who got chapped by this. Now, Randal, before I walk down the hallway of shame - hand me the salve, please........   
wild bill

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2012, 08:08:30 AM »

Ok, all snide remarks aside, criticizing someone's interpretation of how and why Booth died is not "dissing."

As regards any further publication of Rick Smith's and my article "Could John Wilkes Booth Have Committed Suicide," Randal you may do as you please so long as you are willing to accept the consequences of your action as to copyright infringement.

It beats me, if the article is as bad as you allege, why you want to print it all of a sudden.

But then, after living 70 years, the whole world puzzles me. Off to the principal's office!
Gene C

Fido

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »

Craig,

Ditto !

He didn't have a death wish, but he didn't want to be taken alive.  Hard choice to have to make, but he must have thought about what might happen if he was caught.
The physical and mental strain before he got to Garrett's must have been prettty rough.  Ever been camping in damp, cold weather and you can't go home?  Add to that a broken leg, no tent or sleeping bag, no fire to keep warm, experienced soldiers hunting you, a price on your head, and being totally dependent on strangers.  I wonder how far he might have made it if he hadn't broken his leg?

On a seperate note:       remember "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger" - God
                                                    "It's not always what you say, but how you say it" - Mom
                                                     "Your entitled to your own wrong opinion" - Dad

The more you know, the more you think the less you know, because you know that you don't know.  The less you know the more you think the more you know, because you don't know that you don't know. 
 (Not bad for an old dog)
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2012, 09:58:41 AM »

I actually started it, Mrs. Verge. (Student sheepishly hangs his head as he walks to the Principal's office). It is a hot button issue and I've enjoyed both sides. I enjoyed Steve's suicide by cop theory and I also enjoyed Bill and Rick's article. It is disappointing that this got a little nasty, but I honestly can't see why. I thought Bill and Rick presented their scenario respectfully and it appears to me both articles were only presented as another possibility.

There will never be a final answer to this and I just like to hear as much as I can in case I'm missing something new. I apologize to anyone who got chapped by this. Now, Randal, before I walk down the hallway of shame - hand me the salve, please........  

What makes you think I have the salve? Huh  I think you had better run to Wally-World, and buy a case of ButtCreme Shocked
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:58:29 AM by Randal » Logged

jonathan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2012, 10:34:45 AM »

This is a subject I know little about, so for the moment all I can do is give an uneducated opinion. Looking at the situation, throwing in what I know about Booth and Corbett, I believe that Corbett did the deed. I don't doubt that Booth could have shot himself, I just doubt that it was something he would have actually done, regardless of what he might have said. I feel like that would have been considered a coward's way out, and by this time Booth already knew the damage that had been done to his reputation. In his mind, better to come out "guns blazing" and go down like a man. So the "suicide by cop" theory makes a lot more sense.

Also, I'm not sure if that's something Corbett would just lie about. I know he was an odd duck, to say the least, but I just don't see him making that up. You could say it was for money or fame, but if that was the case, wouldn't a couple of other soldiers have claimed they did it? Also, did any soldier dispute Corbett's claim? The barn was surrounded, wouldn't the soldier's nearest him have known if he had fired the shot or not?

Again, I'm no expert on any of this, it just seems like this makes the most sense.

"I try not to break the rules, but merely to test their elasticity" - Bill Veeck
BoothBuff
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012, 11:46:40 AM »

I think you had better run to Wally-World, and buy a case of ButtCreme 

I will never bring this subject up again. You have my solemn vow on that.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 05:53:09 PM »

What subject? Roll Eyes

Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 08:08:02 PM »

After several emails, etc., I want to clarify something.

I am not mad or upset at anyone who posted on this thread, by any means.
People are passionate about their "views and opinions", and act accordingly.
I think Rick Smith knows this about me, as does Bill Richter, and anyone else who chimed in regarding "who" killed Booth at Locust Hill Farm. I am just of the opinion that Corbett shot Booth. Other "takes" on this scenario is interesting.
Was it possible that Booth committed suicide?        Sure.
I'm just not convinced of the "evidence".
Doesn't mean I'm right.
This is what makes this site I started interesting, as we can express our opinion on any given subject. Sure, sometimes it get's a little hot in here, but I try my best to express my thoughts and sometimes I fail, but I never, and I mean never, try to make it personal, though sometimes it might seem that way, so I apologize to anyone I offended or upset, for my comments or posts.

And I thank God this thread wasn't a Sunday Night Survey! This would be off-the-charts! Cheesy

Rick Smith

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2012, 10:53:05 AM »

Randal,

Of course I know this about you.

Regardless of all the upset, I am at your disposal should you need help on any future project.  The Smoot book was a real pleasure to work on.

And although he does not need my help, same goes for Steve, in case he ever should.

It takes too much effort to be at odds and hold grudges.

There is no stock in it.

Rick

Steven G. Miller

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 04:20:08 PM »

Oh, Rick,

I don't think I know anyone who looks as good as you do in Sepia tones. Even that charming rogue, Wild Bill, comes in second to your handsomeness.

Steve, the pie man
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: