SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael O'Laughlen death  (Read 971 times)
cbhuppert

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2012, 05:21:56 AM »

Does anyone out there know of any documentation which proves Michael O'Laughlen's death?  I have searched and can't find any. [Traditional historians hold that he died in the Dry Tortugas of Yellow Fever in September, 1867, but I find that the only source for this is two letters from Samuel Mudd to his wife, Frank].  Any help would be appreciated.

Chuck Huppert
rksummers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 07:14:56 AM »

O'Laughlen's death is recorded in the Fort Jefferson Post Return for September 1867 - see lower right hand corner of report.

Steven G. Miller

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 09:56:20 AM »

There some folks who believe that Mike O' survived and spent his last years over in Muscatine, IA.

http://muscatinejournal.com/news/local/article_014c5446-6f82-58c0-be0d-d5fd82a120b4.html

As I once said, "It's hard to kill a good villain."
Roger Norton
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 11:23:02 AM »

I am hoping Randal will meet me inside Wildcat Den State Park to start searching for O'Laughlen's remains. I have a bad back, and I need a youngster like Randal to do the digging. I will not only pay for the shovel but also explain to the park rangers what you're doing. 417 acres shouldn't take too long.

Admit it Roger, you only want me there to guard you from the creepy crawly things that live there!

I made this generous offer almost 1 1/2 years ago, Randal, and it still stands.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 11:28:19 AM »

My statement still stands also Cheesy

"It was a walking graveyard"
Gene C

Fido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 03:36:27 PM »

Laurie,

You must have missed it.  The Neff Guttridge Collection says so!

And it is quite an interesting tale.

The more you know, the more you think the less you know, because you know that you don't know.  The less you know the more you think the more you know, because you don't know that you don't know. 
 (Not bad for an old dog)
Dave Taylor
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 04:53:12 PM »

Thanks so much for sharing this Mr. Summers.  

I've cropped the part about O'Laughlen:

(Click to enlarge)

I also noticed that it mentioned the death of Dr. Joseph Sim Smith.  It was Dr. Smith's own illness and eventual death from Yellow Fever that motivated Dr. Mudd to volunteer his services.

(Click to enlarge)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:55:25 PM by Dave Taylor » Logged
Barry Doohan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »

If you're into possible conspiracy theories, who was James Kelly who is listed as escaping Fort Jefferson on the same date as O' Laughlen's death?
Althought Mudd was unsuccessful in his excape attempt, I wonder how many other 'citizens' were successful?
Dave Taylor
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 05:20:43 PM »

Although Mudd was unsuccessful in his excape attempt, I wonder how many other 'citizens' were successful?

Lots, I believe.  Dr. Mudd spoke of "four other" prisoners who escaped on the same ship he was caught on.  Also, if you look at the page, there are many army deserters that made their own escapes.  And if this report is only for one month, it's clear nobody wanted to to be there.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »

Ah, Whackamole! Maybe a new feature here! A forum to "dismantle" theories! (there's been some good one's lately, eh Joe?)  Wink

"It was a walking graveyard"
rksummers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 06:55:35 PM »

Here is another Army entry on O'Laughlen's death, from the RG393 files at the National Archives:

Dave Taylor
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 06:56:21 PM »

If you're into possible conspiracy theories, who was James Kelly who is listed as escaping Fort Jefferson on the same date as O' Laughlen's death?

Just to squash this one before it can start, James Kelly was apparently a murderer sentenced to Fort Jefferson:
BoothBuff
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 07:48:09 PM »

I ain't bitin', Randal!! Grin
rich smyth

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 07:39:34 AM »

I am not sure if anyone knows where Michael was buried in the Dry Tortugas. Prior to and during the Civil War burials took place on two keys close to the fort. One mile south was East Key that was used exclusively as a cemetery and Bird Key where most burials occurred. Things began to change around the summer of 1863. Prisoner McClune noted that those interred on Bird Key would be moved to make room for fortifications. Records show the last known burial on Bird Key being May 18, 1863 and on East Key the following year on April 30, 1864. The diary of soldier William Stebbins has an entry for June 11, 1864, where he is ordered to “pull down a quarantine Hospital” on Loggerhead Key, “prepare it to be removed to an island called Sand Key.” Further diary entries during the summer of the same year show Stebbins visiting Sand Key “am going over to Sand Key to work on the Quarantine Hospital”, and on August 28, “there is a Hospital on it put up this summer”.

Eventually, Sand Key would become known as Hospital Key, although Co-conspirator Samuel Arnold wrote in his memoirs about Sand Key “Every foot of its space is now peopled with the dead, many of the bodies having been washed up by the surf of the sea.”

On Hospital Key was the “Quarantine Hospital” being used during the yellow fever outbreak of 1867.  Michael O’Laughlen’s body may have been interred here for the next few years although there were also burials on East Key, one mile southeast of the prison

Michael's remains were taken to Key West aboard the Matchless a 170-ton sailing schooner that had previously been used as a "slaver." This would also be the means of transportation for Dr. Mudd to Key West after his pardon.
cbhuppert

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 09:43:59 AM »

One of the reasons I started this thread and asked for documentation regarding Michael O'Laughlen's death is because of the glaring omission in Sam Arnold's writing of Michael's illness and death.  I am very appreciative of Robert Summers' documents.  I think they are remarkable in several respects.  The first is that Michael is listed as having died in his "quarters", whereas at least 23 of the other deaths listed show death to have occurred in the Post Hospital.  Another thing is that is curious is that for the entire month there is only one inmate reported to have escaped, James Kelly, who just happened to escape on the day that Michael died.  The other thing that seems at variance with what I had previously read is that Michael had Yellow Fever for 19-days before he succumbed.

I've really enjoyed reading all the comments in this thread. -- Chuck 

Chuck Huppert
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: