SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Lady in the Alley  (Read 564 times)
EB

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »

In the transcripts from the conspiracy trial, both Mary Jane Anderson and Mary Ann Turner, who lived behind Ford’s, testified that on the afternoon of the 14th they saw JWB standing and talking in the alley behind the theater with “a lady”. Mary Jane even stated that he and the lady “were pointing up and down the alley, as if they were talking in conversation about the alley . . . and they stood there a considerable while… After that, they both turned into the theater together.”

I’m curious if there was ever any investigation into who this “lady” might have been. Did the authorities ever try to determine her identity, or was it just assumed she was an actress from the theater and was of no value to the case? It just seems to me that if the two of them were “talking in conversation about the alley”  for a “considerable while”, it would have aroused some suspicion. This testimony is mentioned in several  books, but I’ve never found any reference to anyone in authority having shown a particular interest.

Any insight from the experts?
BoothBuff
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 08:13:41 PM »

I can't speak for the experts, but I'll throw a mitt on and get in the game.

Actor E.A. Emerson, in a piece that appeared in Theater Magazine in 1913, states that it was him in the alley speaking to actress May Hart, who played the part of Georgina that night. He stated he wore the same kind of hat and the same kind of caped cloak Booth often wore and the ladies who reported it was Booth mistook Emerson for Booth. He said they were outside in the sunlight rehearsing their lines, as the theater was cold and dark.
EB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 09:04:57 PM »

Hmmm . . . so then it might have been this Emerson guy that Mrs. Turner looked at "right wishful"? (That line of testimony made me laugh.) 
rich smyth

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 05:17:05 AM »

That makes total sense BoothBuff even if it did come 50 years later.
BoothBuff
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 05:56:56 PM »

A little more info here on the 5th. page. From and old post here and Roger's website.

http://rogerjnorton.com/E%20Emerson%20Letter.pdf
rich smyth

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 08:17:14 AM »

Even if Emerson did get some things wrong, the explanation is reasonable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: