SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: What if Herold had not abandoned Powell at Sewards mansion?  (Read 4081 times)
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 04:51:11 AM »

Great graphic Joe Gleason!

"It was a walking graveyard"
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 06:05:05 AM »

There might be another source for this, albeit from Herold, if his  "statement" he wrote during the trial ever shows up.
It might differ from what he said on the Montauk. Yes, it would be from the same source, but it just might bolster his claim.

Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2012, 06:22:03 AM »

Thanks Randal.  

After reading this statement by Col. John Foster, i'm wondering why Atzerodt would leave his mare a half block from the entrance to Baptist Alley and walk to the cars near the Capitol, located a few blocks from Nailor's Stable.  Huh

"Atzerodt called for his horse at 10:00 precisely on the evening in questioned at Nailor's Stables, rode him to the Kirkwood House, entered there, was there a short
time and came out, mounted his horse and rode him rapidly up 10th Street in the direction of Ford's Theater, and was next seen getting in a car between the Capitol and the Navy Yard Bridge at about 6th Street East. A horse at the time of the assassination was seen standing on F Street about halfway between 10th & the entrance of the alley in the rear of the Theater. This horse was mounted by some person, ridden rapidly in the direction of the Navy Yard Bridge immediately succeeding the alarm of the assassination."

This seems to be the place where Atzerodt seperated himself from the horse and started walking.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:07:28 PM by Joe Gleason » Logged
J Madonna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2012, 02:02:55 PM »

Jerry,

I think that Booth would have seen the newspaper reports the next morning only if he had remained in Washington.  Going into the hinterlands of Southern Maryland would delay the news. 

Point made. However, my point was that he would still have heard the extent of the news somewhere along his escape route. It was not worth loosing his guide over if that was indeed Herold's primary task.

Why meet up at Soper's Hill? Did Herold say that because that's actually where he met Booth or because that's where they planned to meet? How far is that from the Bridge and the Surratt house?

Does anyone have any bio information on  Col. John Foster?
J Madonna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 02:09:56 PM »

I believe assassination authors have always written that Booth and Herold rendezvoused at or near Soper's Hill. I think this is near universal in assassination literature. But how do we know this? The only source I can think of is David Herold's statement to Bingham aboard the Montauk. If I am right, and there is no other source for this, then are we simply picking and choosing to believe Herold on some matters and not on others? I sure don't see Herold's statement used in footnotes in many books. We all know Herold concocted many parts of it.

Roger,
I do not believe we are "picking and choosing to believe .. on some matters and not on others". I think many of the grey areas of the story have already been picked and chosen for us. As you pointed out with Katy of Catoctin once speculation is repeated it becomes fact by fiat.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2012, 02:14:11 PM »

I think the bridge is 8 miles from the tavern? Laurie?

J Madonna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2012, 03:17:31 PM »

And Jerry, if I had plotted and planned the greatest murder of the 19th century, I would have wanted immediate news that all had gone as planned.  I would not have been content at waiting around to read about it in the newspapers in two or three days' time.  

Laurie, you may have wanted immediate news but once you pulled that trigger and unleashed that torrent, your self preservation instinct would have propelled you to get as far as possible before you looked back. Lee Harvey wanted fame but he didn't hang around..Remember Lot's wife!

How close is Soper's Hill from the pike north to Baltimore? Is it near Bennings?

Any info on  Col. John Foster?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 03:23:43 PM by J Madonna » Logged
Gene C

Fido

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2012, 03:21:09 PM »

Don't pick on Lot's wife....  She was the "salt of the earth."
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 03:33:54 PM by Gene C » Logged

The more you know, the more you think the less you know, because you know that you don't know.  The less you know the more you think the more you know, because you don't know that you don't know. 
 (Not bad for an old dog)
Roger Norton
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »

Does that mean that I'm getting old

Absolutely not! As you well know we are the exact same age; where I live it is considered middle-aged.
Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2012, 07:59:45 PM »

Yep, here ya go.

1. Surratt's                                                              Soper's Hill located approx. 8 mi. south
2. Seward's                                                             of Navy Yard Bridge
3. Powell's horse
4. Glenwood
5. FT. Saratoga
6. FT. Bunker Hil

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:26:49 AM by Joe Gleason » Logged
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2012, 08:27:46 PM »

Joe has gotten so damn good on the computer, it's scary!
I mean, holy cow!
Great job Joe!

J Madonna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2012, 08:41:17 PM »

If this is leading to Herold getting Powell across the Bennings Bridge and then meeting up with Booth after the Navy Yard Bridge, I ain't buying it.  I think Herold was at Seward's long enough to make sure that Powell got inside to do the deed; then he headed to the Kirkwood to see if Atzerodt had done his deed; and then he said (expletive deleted) and headed out to Southern Maryland.

Nope, I'm with Betty on this one. Powell was a big boy. I doubt if he even wanted to be seen with Herold.

From Joe's map can I assume that Minnesota avenue was the road north to Baltimore in 1865?

Is Soper's hill east or west of Minnesota Avenue?
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2012, 05:04:42 AM »

Sopers Hill would be southeast, I beleive

Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2012, 06:35:26 AM »

Thanks again Randal.  Wink It's hard to keep track of everyones movements, but it's very interesting to follow them on the map.
Gene C

Fido

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2012, 07:00:46 AM »

I live in western KY, but last Thursday afternoon I was in the DC area, trying to go from Arlington Cemetery to the Surratt House.  As we cross the bridge into DC, my Garmin says "turn right, turn right again, then turn left.......recalculating"  To pull that off we would have to cut across four lanes of traffic, side swipe a tour bus, bounce off two taxis and run over at least 17 tourist and a baby stroller.  We tried this three times (I didn't know a Garmin counld swear) but finally gave up.  I finally just turned it off.  The Garmin couldn't recalculate fast enough, and I wasn't going to put up with that kind of language.  We wandered around lost for about an hour and a half, and finallly ended up in front of some chinese restaurant on H Street. 

We did eventually make it to the Surratt House, met Laurie, and had a pleasant visit.

My point is, I can easily see how Powell could get lost (at night - limited or no street lights) in a city he wasn't familiar with, especially if you're scared half to death.  The adrenaline last only so long. 

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:07:26 AM by Gene C » Logged

The more you know, the more you think the less you know, because you know that you don't know.  The less you know the more you think the more you know, because you don't know that you don't know. 
 (Not bad for an old dog)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: