SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: What if Herold had not abandoned Powell at Sewards mansion?  (Read 4282 times)
kharv

View Profile WWW
« on: June 06, 2012, 06:18:48 PM »

I know we can only speculate on the "What if" part of this question.  I am curious as to what people here think that had Herold not "left Powell to fate" what may have happened.

Do you feel that having Powell along for the get away would have helped or somewhat even hindered Booth more in his escape?

I love seeing the discussions that can come from you all on these subjects and hope that my rare questions are worthwhile subjects for discussion  Grin.
jonathan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 08:19:26 PM »

For the kind of escape they were attempting, I think two is the perfect number. I think any additional people would have been a hindrance. Speed and stealth were what they needed, and I'm not sure how Powell would have helped in that respect. One additional person might not have been too bad, but if all four of them had tried to escape together, I think it would have been a real mess. That said, I'm not sure Herold abandoned Powell. Especially after reading Alias Payne, I don't think Powell needed any help finding his way around the city. There was a big thread about all that not too long ago. I think Powell might have been planning to go to Baltimore.

"I try not to break the rules, but merely to test their elasticity" - Bill Veeck
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 08:44:49 PM »

I think Powell had a bit of trouble finding his way around the city. At least that is what I got from Betty's book

"It was a walking graveyard"
Wesley Harris

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 09:26:17 PM »

A few months ago we discussed the fact that there's zero evidence that Herold accompanied Powell to Seward's.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 05:39:26 AM »

Any evidence that Herold "guided" Powell to Seward's?

Gene C

Fido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 05:47:59 AM »

Do you think Booth wanted Powell to be caught

The more you know, the more you think the less you know, because you know that you don't know.  The less you know the more you think the more you know, because you don't know that you don't know. 
 (Not bad for an old dog)
Roger Norton
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 06:34:24 AM »

I asked this several months ago, and it went unanswered. I am still curious about it, so I will try again.

Kauffman writes that Powell and Herold were at Seward's and that Powell wanted to delay the attack because one of Seward's doctors was there...i.e. Powell worried that the ruse of Dr. Verdi's medicine wasn't going to work. Since Powell needed time to think he sent Herold to the Kirkwood House to tell Atzerodt to hold off on killing Johnson. Mike writes, "Herold leaped out of the saddle and ran into the Kirkwood House. He wanted to tell Atzerodt not to do anything yet, but the door to his room was locked and nobody answered."

Anyone know where this whole story comes from?
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 06:59:56 AM »

Roger,
On what page did Mike write about that, I assume AB?

Roger Norton
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 07:06:41 AM »

Randal, it starts on the very bottom of p. 224 and continues on p. 225 of AB.
Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 07:32:54 AM »

1. Ford's Theater
                                                                                                                                          2 .Seward house
                                                                                                                                          3. William Bell lost sight of Powell at 15th & I near Vermont Ave
                                                                                                                                          4. Powell's horse found here. ( pouring sweat,  Lt. Toffey)
                                                                                                                                          5. Glenwood Cemetery
                                                                                                                                          6. Navy Yard Bridge
                                                                                                                                          White oval indicates five point intersection/

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:04:27 PM by Joe Gleason » Logged
Linda Anderson

Fanny Seward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »

Thanks, Joe.  That's a great map.

Can you add where Thomas Price found Powell's bloody coat?  According to Price's testimony, the coat was found on a grassy road in the woods northeast of the city between Fort Bunker Hill and Fort Saratoga. 
rich smyth

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 11:32:39 AM »

Unless the horse roamed a lot, it does not appear that Powell was heading North although I am not that familiar with the area. Would he have been attempting to cross the river by going East and then heading north to Balt.?
Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 11:54:45 AM »

Thank you ladies!  Smiley  I placed another map above the one already posted. Thanks for suggesting it, Laurie.  Wink
Linda Anderson

Fanny Seward

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »

That's great, Joe.  Thanks!

Betty, do you think Powell was wandering around in Glenwood Cemetery and not in Congressional Cemetery?
J Madonna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 06:20:17 AM »

Since there is no evidence that Herold went with Powell to Sewards AND Atzerodt says Herold was the man assigned to shoot Johnson AND there is testimony that a man was rattling doors at the Kirkwood just before the assassination .... ..isn't more likely that Atzerodt was being truthful and Herold was at the hotel trying to complete his mission?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: