SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Shot by some ordinary guy in a theatre, and he an axe wielding Vampire Slayer."  (Read 527 times)
Dawn E Foster

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2012, 04:47:25 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2162460/Lincoln-assassination-conspirators-Grisly-moments-Civil-War-era-prisoners-convicted-conspiring-kill-president.html
Gene C

Fido

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 06:09:53 AM »

Thanks Dawn!

I always enjoy reading the comments section as much as the main article.   
A fair number of the comments were made by people in the US.
              Scary isn't it?

I never really noticed this before, but for such a hot day, almost everyone has on a coat or jacket. 
I can understand for the soldiers they have to wear those fashionable, hot, wool jackets - it's their uniform, but the others? 
Guess I missed that Joan Rivers episode of Fashion Pollice.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 06:20:53 AM by Gene C » Logged

The more you know, the more you think the less you know, because you know that you don't know.  The less you know the more you think the more you know, because you don't know that you don't know. 
 (Not bad for an old dog)
BoothBuff
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »

I brought that up a while back, Gene. I too couldn't believe what those folks were wearing on a day that may have exceeded 100 degrees. Laurie and Betty chimed in that at the time, no one went outside without a hat and coat. I forget what thread it was, but there were some good comments. 
Rob Wick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 09:44:35 AM »

Of course, if you're used to it, it wouldn't seem crazy. We've convinced ourselves that we must always have air-conditioning, etc. I wish someone would have told my mother that while I was growing up. Cheesy

Best
Rob

Using the internet since the 1990s to avoid actually getting something accomplished.
Bronte

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 12:10:51 PM »

I was thinking the exact same thing while looking at the photos.I really enjoy reading about the 19th century but there is no-wwwwaaay I would want to be some kinda time traveler (lol) I would not last five minutes in one of those twelve pound crinolines made from whale bone that they wore underneath their dresses.We toured Boone Hall over on the Isle of Palms here in SC and the tour guide had one out on display (unbelievable) its no wonder they got the vapors and had to take their afternoon naps.I cannot remember how many other garments went on before and after the hoop of death but geesh.... that was a sight to behold.I love Boone Hall Its weird because the owners live upstairs and the public is only allowed to see the downstairs.When you stand on the porch you can look off to the right and you can see the old slave cabins lined up right in front of the house.I thought that was soo odd.However the guide said that the slaves who were lucky enough to stay in one of those were blessed more like they would have been the inside slaves.She said that the ones who worked the fields would have been way out in the marsh and basically living in a shack made out of rotted wood if they were that lucky.When I stand on that porch I can always remember watching the north and the south and I can imagine seeing Patrick Swayze galloping down that long driveway.They also filmed part of the Notebook at Boone Hall.Sorry got off track anyway like I said I doubt I would last a day without all of our mordern comforts.If I could pop in and out like be at Fords on that fateful night to witness what all went down then that would be pretty cool.Be my luck I would get stuck and not be able to get back to our century and yes I've been without sleep so I'm posting  crazy talk so just overlook me. Wink
Gene C

Fido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 01:03:50 PM »

I had some of those same thoughts, so welcome to the looney bin
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:05:55 PM by Gene C » Logged

The more you know, the more you think the less you know, because you know that you don't know.  The less you know the more you think the more you know, because you don't know that you don't know. 
 (Not bad for an old dog)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: