SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: David Herold at the "H" St. Boarding House?  (Read 641 times)
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2012, 06:39:20 PM »

Has there been any reliable information that David Herold visited the "H" st. Boarding House? I know he visited the tavern in Surrattsville several times.  Huh
Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 07:10:45 AM »

Hey Randal,

Wiechmann's statement mentions a visit by Herold to the HSt. boarding house, probably around the time of the inauguration. Apparently, the whole team including Booth, Atzrerodt, O'Laughlin, Arnold, Powell, Gus Howell and of course David Herold, were assembled in Washington just before Lincoln's second inaugural. Dr. Mudd was also seen in Washington at the time of the event as well.

The Surratt's didn't seem to care much for Davy, according to Louis Wiechmann;

"Atzerodt has made some ten or twelve visits to the house, sleeping in the house on one occasion in a back room of the 3rd story."

"David E. Herold came to the house on H ST. on horseback once to see John H. Surratt The other members of the family (Surratt)
                     were not on good terms with Herold.

" A man calling himself Wood visited the house twice. the first time he was ushered in by Wiechmann and gave his name as Wood
                      and remained at the house all night. This was about the last of February."

Statement of Wiechmann, April 3, 1865, furnished by W.P. Wood, Supt. O.C. Prison.     (7:445-51,PW, Poore I:69, 135, 369, Pittman 113,,118,120)

And, this from the Trial of John Surratt; Testimony of Wiechmann Pg. 380

" I saw him (Booth) on the evening of the 4th, (March 4, 1865) at Mrs. Surratt's. He was in the parlor then. I did not see him during the
                      day.".

"John Surratt had been riding around town all day ( March 4, 1865) with the procession; he was on horseback."

Question; When did you next see Herold at the home; did you see him there between that time and the 16th of March?

A. " I saw him (Herold) only once at Mrs. Surratt's house; in March, 1865; he was in my room talking with Atzerodt and Surratt."

Hope this helps.

http://www.lincoln-assassination.com/bboard/index.php?topic=537.0

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 07:26:33 AM by Joe Gleason » Logged
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:52:49 PM »

Yes it does, thanks! Sorry it took so long for me to respond, I'm usually logged on 24/7, but couldn't check it today at work, because we had a bazillion people there today (despite the 106 heat) for the opening of our new Cheetah exhibit. I had to help with crowd control. (move along little doggies) Wink
Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 11:54:36 AM »

I hope you built a swimming pool for those critters!  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: