Herold's fate/legacy

<< < (3/3)

John Watson:
Quote from: Randal on July 14, 2012, 12:49:38 PM

They didn't give up searching for John Surratt after everything was said and done, so I doubt they would given up searching for Herold. IMO.

Valid point Randal, but just how hard were they looking for Surratt, and if he hadn't been handed over to them on a platter, would he have been tried at all?  Significantly, he was never retried after his 1867 trial, an indication I think that passions had cooled to the extent that people just wanted to get on with life.  By 1869, Stanton was dead and the remaining conspirators had been released from prison.  At that point - four years after the assassination - I think Herold could have surfaced without fear of hanging.  And if he had been tried, what would the charge have been - aiding and abetting the escape of Booth?  How many others could have faced these same charges and never were?

Gene C:
  How many others could have faced these same charges and never were?

Thomas Jones?

Randal:
Good point! Harbin, Jones, et.al., could have also faced the same thing. I think Stanton was satisfied with the initial 8. I also think if Herold was caught a few years later, he wouldn't have been hung, the "people" wanted to move on after this trajedy. IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page