SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ned Spangler  (Read 3445 times)
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 06:59:31 PM »

Rich, If you have the Nettie Mudd book, see page 322.I believe it did survive. Read my previous post, or it survived to be included in her book.
Tom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »

The handwriting on the 1867 Gleason notarized version is not Spangler's (as evidenced in letters in the John T. Ford Papers at the Maryland Historical Society and Library of Congress), but rather, I would think, of a paid scribe. It is original, and Spangler would doubtless have been provided with a fair copy, which I believe was the one stored in his trunk (and, being a fair copy, would at first reading appear to be an original). Remember, too, that some of Spangler's letters (e.g., the one written aboard the Florida en route to Ft. Jefferson, in the LofC Rare Book room: “Friend, still thinking of old times,..." ) are in a different hand, and use a far more ornate, melodramatic diction, than the uneducated Spangler would have used (as evidenced in his real letters to Ford). My guess is that dramatic actor Sam Arnold wrote them for Spangler (one is even mis-signed "Edward Spangler").
Tom

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 07:32:08 PM »

Sorry, Rich: forgot to add: Yes, it is in the Benjamin Butler Papers at the LofC, along with statements by Mudd and Arnold.
rich smyth

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 08:58:35 PM »

Thanks guys. Very interesting.
Crowza

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 10:55:08 PM »

Tom - Thanks for your information. I'm looking forward to reading your book on the subject!

John - I had read that article once when I found that on newspaper archive a while back, saved it and then couldn't find where I stored it. Beyond that, I could never find it on newspaper archive again. Thanks for posting it! I guess I'm not crazy after all.  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: