Surratt Arrested in Maryland in 1863.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Rick Smith:
Joe,

Nice work on the list of locations and coordinates.

Dr. Edward Wyvill's home, Burton Hall, was actually located just a couple of hundred yards off of what is now Thrift Rd., just around the corner from the Wyoming Plantation house, not too far from Cosca Park, which has a Clinton address.

Rick

Joe Gleason:
Thanks Rick,

I used Brooke Stabler's directions and a 1878 PG. County atlas to help find the location, not realizing that Burton Hall was actually on the MD. Historical Inventory.   
Thanks for your help regarding the name of Dr. Wyvill's home and I wanted to ask you if the coordinate that I posted reflects the correct location of where the house once stood.

I remember a gentleman here who used to go by the name Dansville. Didn't he have a letter from John Surratt that was written to David Herold about meeting in Dansville?

Joe G. 

Rick Smith:
Joe, 

You are most welcome.

For some reason, most likely user error, I had trouble entering map coordinates on the site you referred to.

In any case, the link below will take you to the location of Wyvill's home, Burton Hall, which you can compare with your coordinates.

I have been on the site and covered the ground pretty thouroughly and could not find the foundation.  The area is incredibly overgrown.  I will look again in the Fall when there is less foliage.

Take Care,

Rick

sohttp://www.bing.com/maps/#JndoZXJlMT0xMjAwMit0aHJpZnQrcmQrY2xpbnRvbiUyYyttZCZiYj0zOC43Mjg1MTc4NDMwMjkxJTdlLTc2LjkyMDI3NjM2NDg5OTQlN2UzOC43MjQ5OTU1NDA3MDIxJTdlLTc2LjkyNDI2NTUwMjcyNTE=

Rick Smith:
Joe,

My apologies, the link I sent you does not seem to work.

The address of Burton Hall was 12002 Thrift Rd. Clinton, Md.

I hope that you are able to check your coordinates with the address.

Rick

Joe Gleason:
Rick,
I appreciate you trying to help. Here is a link to the Maryland Historic Properties with a map of Burton Hall. It's great that they have photos of the house as well.
http://mdihp.net/dsp_county.cfm?search=county&criteria1=B&criteria2=PG&criteria3=&id=19234&viewer=true

Judging by the map on the link, I think I'm close. Thanks again for your help with this.

Joe G.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page