SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday Survey...22,July 2012  (Read 1019 times)
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »

Sometime ago, a suggestion was made to create a "day by day account" of the conspirators movements at the time of Lincoln's second Inaugural, in order to determine whether or not they were even in Washington City. Some are "for"
but most are "against" them being in the city, let alone at the ceremony as the the Kunhardt claim in the book Twenty Days.

Can anyone give sources that would support them being anywhere else but Washington at the time of Lincoln's Inaugural?

What say you?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:02:02 PM by Randal » Logged

"It was a walking graveyard"
BoothBuff
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:29:16 AM »

This is out of my league Randal, but judging only from the photos, the only one I'd feel comfortable with saying was there is Powell. It just really looks like him to me. The hat, the big chew in his mouth, etc.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:41:27 AM »

I agree with you Joe, I thinks it's Powell also.

"It was a walking graveyard"
BCorbett1865

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 05:37:45 PM »

Since I have not looked at that photo for a while I had to bust out the Kunhardt's book and examine it. Like Joe, the only one with a resemblence to any of the conspirators is Powell. Herold is a possibility, but doubtful. The fellow that the Kunhardt's believe to be Surratt is wearing a uniform...looks like the hat he is wearing is either a Bummer, or a McDowall. As far as I know the only military service that Surratt ever saw was in the Papal guards under Pope Pius IX (He could have been in the militia?). I believe that his brother Isaac served in the Confederate Army. The fellow that they claim might be Atzerodt offers no resemblence that I can see. As far as Spangler being there...as we all know he wasn't even one of the conspirators.
Rick Smith

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 07:27:04 AM »

B Corbett,

You are correct regarding John Surratt's military service.  Apart from working for the Confederate Secret Service, he saw military service with the Papal, or Pontifical, Zouaves under the name of John Watson.   Surratt was enrolled as a Zouave 3rd class in Co. C of the 3rd Regiment in 1865.

Isaac Surratt had come home to Surratsville from Baltimore in March of 1861 and announced that he was going to Texas.  At San Antonio on May 4, 1862, Isaac enlisted in Co. A of the Texas Partisan Dragoons under the command of James M. Duff.  The command was also known as Duff's Partisan Rangers. 

Rick
wild bill

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 12:58:03 PM »

Rick is correct as to the unit's popular designation, but formally on the Confederate record books it was , the 14th Texas Cavalry Battalion, which received several more companies of recruits and was reorganized as the 33rd Texas Cavalry Regiment.
John Watson

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »

Personally, I don't think any of the conspirators appear in the inagural photos, with the possible exception of Booth in a top hat, and even that has not been proven.  The tall spectator identified as Powell perhaps looks more like the real thing than the others, but again there's no proof and no reason to believe he was there.  When the Kunhardts released their book in the 1960's, they got a lot of publicity with their "identification" of the conspirators, but they offered absolutely nothing to substantiate their "amazing discovery" other than facial similarities.  With no evidence to back up their claims, and no reason to believe anyone but Booth attended the inagural address, the so-called "Kunhardt conspirators" remain just what they always were - anonymous faces in the crowd.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: