SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monday Survey August 6, 2012  (Read 591 times)
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2012, 10:34:27 AM »

Too busy yesterday to put up a Survey,
The "Ready to go Home" thread got me thinking about this question:

If Booth's derringer misfired and he was detained by Lincoln/Rathbone, would he have confessed who all were involved? Remember, Lewie stated something along the lines of "you ain't got half of them yet" after he was caught.

Would JWB "spilled the beans", named names, etc? This could be far-reaching!

"It was a walking graveyard"
saxpower

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:53:34 PM »

Interesting question and hard to say..would his desire to be the South's savior mean he'd want to take all the credit himself?  Or would he want to show how many people were behind it to prove that the South still had enough support?
John Stanton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 08:49:27 PM »

I'm not good at "What ifs ?", but this one is different. If the pistol misfired, then there would not have been a murder, What would the charge have been?  Attempted murder? I am trying to guess if the "New York Crowd" would attempt another assassination, and the plotting would go on - and eventually get the same results. So, everyone would clam up, and get back to business.
On a lighter tack - would the south have shot Booth, for botching a sure-thing?
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:00:45 PM »

Interesting question about the South getting to him if he "botched" the job John
However, it's also telling, by reading newspaper accounts afterwards, that most southerners were "shocked" by his actions.

Also, what IF he was charged with attempted murder? Would he ratted on his co-horts?

John Stanton

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 09:29:11 PM »

If there was even the smallest chance of Booth  nameing -names, the "South" would have shot him. If they had the intention of assassinating a President, Booth was "small change", thus NO PROBLEN! In actuality, I think this same rationale applies to each of the "They ain't got the half of them." gang. They knew better than to talk. I have never heard of any one admitting to have been involved in the assassination. Not even on their death bed, not even a drunken brag. Which leads to; was there ever a "New York Ccrowd"?
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 09:34:06 PM »

Interesting John. Maybe "Dixie Reckoning" will reveal that.

John Stanton

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 10:01:38 PM »

Sometimes you scare me. LOL
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 04:47:32 AM »

I scare a lot of people

Pages: [1]