SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: You Know You're Getting Obsessed when...  (Read 7608 times)
Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2010, 10:23:41 AM »

Laurie,  I was just being a smarty when making the suggestion that Herold may have killed his horse.  I know that you share the opinion of many who believe
that Herold's (or Booth's) horse was never killed and was given away or sold.  As I posted the comment , it reminded me of our conversations on the subject
and I imagined you holding a yardstick as you tell me... No! ,No! ,No! those poor animals lived happily ever after on another farm.  Got it Gleason? (poke ,poke).  Yes,mam. 

BTW, you are still teaching every day.  Your students here always sit up and pay attention because you tell  the best stories about the Lincoln Assassination.
That's why we call you hero!
Joe
John Stanton

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2010, 01:05:57 PM »

Davy. Whoever drew that picture did not read Davy's confession, (that Davy)  "... came out of the Nanjemoy at sundown...crossed within 300 yards of a gunboat...with one paddle and a broken oar..." For the record, it wasn't a gunboat, it was the Upper Cedar Point Lightship. There were no gunboats nearby, except the "Neptune" that was at anchor around the Point (Mathias Point) This view is essentially the view from my back porch. You are looking upstream and Virginia is on the left. ( IT'S ALL IN THE DETAILS). Booth is always shown wearing a flat top hat.
If you plan to redraw the picture, show Maryland with a low slopeing shoreline, and Virginia with steep clifts . I have always felt that he landed here, because Lt. Cawood's Camp was here, but Cawood was not here. He was in Richmond, and wasn't here to help him. (That's my secret, so don't let abyone else read this.)
Conspirator9
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2010, 01:34:27 PM »

Of course the picture is wrong somehow.  It's amazing how many engravings/drawings they screwed up.  But I thought David's written confession/account was missing?  I know there is testimony that he was seen writing in between court sessions.  Aren't those papers lost?  Or what source are you referring to? I have yet to begin the task of reading all of the trial records....
Conspirator9
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2010, 02:16:43 PM »

You don't need to pitch me the discounts to entice me!  Every time I'm there my list of books and other things gets longer and longer heehe.  Somewhat broke at present but if it's in the name of the assassination I will forsake all nourishment to save money!!  Totally kidding I like food way too much lol  But thanks for the info just the same.
historynut1123

A modern-day Lew!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2010, 06:20:52 PM »

Can we order those booklets about their statements even if we live far from you, Laurie?

I'd also love to snoop through the National Archives, but at least we can wait for the book from Barry Cauchon and John Elliot.
"Inside the Walls" is being written as we speak and they inform you on their progress when you "like" their page or give them your e-mail.

"But hark! The doorbell rings and Mr.J.W. Booth is announced. And listen to the scamperings. Such brushing and fixing."-letter of John Surratt, observing sister Anna
Dave Taylor
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2010, 06:35:05 PM »

Can we order those booklets about their statements even if we live far from you, Laurie?

Yes you can!  I've talked to Laurie on a couple of occasions ordering books from their gift shop to be sent my way.  And if you ask real nice, maybe she'll let you buy a cool Surratt House tote bag for only $3!
Conspirator9
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2010, 06:47:36 PM »

On that note FYI "My Thoughts Be Bloody" book singing is Oct. 23rd so reserve them now!!!
Dave Taylor
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2011, 06:29:52 PM »

You know you're obsessed when you buy a 6 ft. tall cardboard cutout of John Wilkes Booth from eBay:

Get yours today!

(And yes, I know I'm a badass thank you very much.  Cheesy)
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2011, 07:11:33 PM »

you bad Dave, no doubt!  Cool
Linda Anderson

Fanny Seward

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2011, 12:46:48 PM »

You keep talking to your family about what Betty O and John E have said about Powell.  Also, when you are thrilled to find out that your town has borrowing privileges at the local university which has a copy of The Lincoln Assassination: The Evidence and you rush home to read it.  And find it fascinating.
historynut1123

A modern-day Lew!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2011, 05:48:11 PM »

Ha! Thanks Dave for ressurecting this ol' thing I started last summer. It's about time, new members are here! (By the way, next Halloween you need to get a curly wig and mustache.)

I know I am when I am getting annoyed at the children and want to stab things, (like oranges and chicken pieces, don't worry) I call it having a "Lewis moment."

Or when on Facebook the first thing I look for is what's new on "Inside the Walls."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 05:52:34 PM by historynut1123 » Logged

"But hark! The doorbell rings and Mr.J.W. Booth is announced. And listen to the scamperings. Such brushing and fixing."-letter of John Surratt, observing sister Anna
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: