SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: You Know You're Getting Obsessed when...  (Read 7617 times)
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 05:21:50 PM »

Roger,
Go right now, and buy a Lottery ticket! (buy me one to)

Randal
RebeccaM

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 02:14:36 PM »

21.  You jump at the chance to subscribe to one more Lincoln publication.

Roger - Do you have an email address for the Journal of the Lincoln Assassination?
Roger Norton
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 02:28:49 PM »

Yes.  The address is:

Autograph Press
P.O. Box 2616
Waldorf, MD  20604

It is now published once a year, and the cost has recently gone up a dollar to $12 per year.  But if I remember a recent mailing correctly you can get two years for $20.  Lots of good stuff in the current edition including details of William Seward's mouth splint made by a dentist named Dr. Thomas B. Gunning.  Also, there's a list of 1865 Ford's Theatre employees including several people I have never heard of before.  Anyone know anything about a stagehand named "Skeggy?"

I have no e-mail address for the publication, however.

The fact that one can get this plus the Surratt Courier for a total cost of $19 a year is an incredible value.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:46:37 PM by Roger Norton » Logged
historynut1123

A modern-day Lew!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 04:07:50 PM »

22. You spent the hour today between 1 and 2 playing the song "My Immortal" by Evanescence several times, looked at the playground rope, got teary eyed again, and hated Booth even more than usual.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:09:44 PM by historynut1123 » Logged

"But hark! The doorbell rings and Mr.J.W. Booth is announced. And listen to the scamperings. Such brushing and fixing."-letter of John Surratt, observing sister Anna
Dave Taylor
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 05:03:10 PM »

23.  You add the word "Mudd" to the dictionary in Microsoft Word because you're sick of it telling you it's misspelled.
Roger Norton
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »

You wake up screaming during a dream in which you're holding Lewis Powell's skull.

In case you haven't had this one yet, and need a little nudge in that direction, please look near the bottom of my Powell page at
http://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln25.html
JohnE
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 12:50:45 PM »

23.  You add the word "Mudd" to the dictionary in Microsoft Word because you're sick of it telling you it's misspelled.

Hey Dave, you can add Davey, Surratt, Herold and a few others to that list too.
Dave Taylor
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 01:18:31 PM »

Hey Dave, you can add Davey, Surratt, Herold and a few others to that list too.

That's right, I've added Surratt too.

And actually, I spell Herold's name as Davy because that was my nickname and how I spelled it growing up.  In fact, many of my friends today still call me Davy.
Dave Taylor
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 11:21:15 PM »

You wake up screaming during a dream in which you're holding Lewis Powell's skull.

In case you haven't had this one yet, and need a little nudge in that direction, please look near the bottom of my Powell page at
http://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln25.html

Roger, that picture is awesome.  In Barry Cauchon's Awesome Talk With Betty Ownsbey, she talks about having a picture of Powell's skull as well.  I was still trying to think up a non-creepy way to e-mail her and ask to see it.
Barry Cauchon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 07:21:52 AM »

I'm always amazed when my name gets mentioned here. That darn blog of mine! Grin

Dave, hopefully you will not have long to wait to see the Powell skull photos. John Elliott and I will be including them in our upcoming book "Inside the Walls: The Final Days of the Lincoln Conspirators". It's a book that so many people have had a helping hand in. We are thankful to all of them for their input and encouragement. Many of them  participate here such as Randall, John, Rick, Wild Bill, Laurie, Roger, Sandra, Joan, Richard, Mike, Ed, Blaine and of course Steve (I pray I didn't forget anyone). All have been great and we can't thank them enough. In particular, John and I want to give a special mention to Betty Ownsbey who has taken it one step further, and graciously and enthusiastically worked with us from the start. She has unselfishly shared so much of her research and, as you mentioned, the photos of Powell's skull. Mike Kaufmann, who noted that some of the photos were taken by him as well, also consented to use these in our book. We thank them both and can't wait to share the final product with everyone. Our book certainly features research that John and I have done ourselves but much of it also comes from those who came before us and we want to celebrate their research in the book as well.
I know I speak for John when I say that we have never felt so welcomed in any community and found that they were so quick to share their knowledge and encouragement for our project.

So, you know you're getting obsessed when you start referring to Lewis Powell and Mary Surratt as Lou and Mair (just like they did in the Mary Tyler Moore show)(thanks for that idea Steve...lol).
Thanks all.
Barry
Roger Norton
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 08:22:07 AM »

Barry, I think all of us are looking forward to Inside the Walls, and we all wish you and John a smooth road to completion and publication.  Kudos on all the hard work you've done.  I am not much of a reader, and I love books with LOTS of pictures.  Twenty Days blew me away during the 1960's.

As Mike K. might say, you know you're obsessed when the actual dream (nightmare?) is you're Hamlet holding Yorick's skull.

(my ancient Microsoft Word 1997 does not recognize Yorick as a word)

Additionally, I know from personal experience what a truly wonderful helper Betty Ownsbey is when it comes to sharing her knowledge, research, etc.  She is one terrific lady.  I highly recommend her book, Alias "Paine" Lewis Thornton Powell, the Mystery Man of the Lincoln Conspiracy to anyone looking to gain a more complete understanding of Lewis Powell.  She also has some interesting insights into some of the other characters as well (like David Herold).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:11:54 AM by Roger Norton » Logged
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 02:44:37 PM »

Please, let's this this back on Topic: You Know You're Getting Obsessed when...

You name your dog, Dash.
Barry Cauchon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 03:01:57 PM »

Randal, you are a regular task master...and you still owe me a beer in March! Love ya man!

You Know You're Getting Obsessed when...
...you have an uncontrollable urge to dress up like Mary Surratt (sorry...too much information).
...you compare everyone's height to Abraham Lincoln's (because you want to know what it would have felt like standing next to him...sadly, this one is true!)
...you look at your chin stubble and wonder how long it would take to grow a beard like Stanton.
...you find out that a carbine is NOT part of a car engine.
...you start to believe that everyone back in 1865 wore black clothes because that is what all the pictures show!
...you look at these same pictures and can't imagine them in color! The 1865s were seen through the eyes of dogs (color blind in case that one went over your head).
and finally
...you play with a Yo-Yo and your mind wanders to the execution and you...oh never mind!

Best
Barry
historynut1123

A modern-day Lew!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 04:40:13 PM »

I am so happy I put this up- as a lowly unknown newbie, I am flattered.

We happen to have a "Naylor's Auto Repair shop" that I drive by on our way to and from church. I've driven past it for years, but last week I was like- "Naylor's! Like the Rent-a-Horse!"

"But hark! The doorbell rings and Mr.J.W. Booth is announced. And listen to the scamperings. Such brushing and fixing."-letter of John Surratt, observing sister Anna
Dave Taylor
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 12:37:31 AM »

35ish.  You finally break down and buy yourself your own copy of The Lincoln Assassination: The Evidence.

P.S. The Surrat House seems to have this the cheapest I can find it.  So, Laurie, be expecting my call soon!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: