SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: You Know You're Getting Obsessed when...  (Read 8744 times)
Barry Cauchon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 07:06:27 AM »

I think this was a great subject to present. As people involved in looking at the heavy subjects of assassination and executions, it is critical for us to find some light-heartedness outlets too. I've been thinking about that subject a lot. In a quick email exchange with Steve Miller this week, we started playing with the humorous aspects of the Lincoln assassination. It was tactless, tasteless, potentially offensive and yet very funny and creative. Shame on us! But then again, it was a lot of fun too. And we just scratched the surface.

PREACHING TIME: Humor is used to help us get through the worst of times and hard subjects. 9/11 brought out many tacky, tasteless jokes, but we laughed none-the-less because it helped us get through. Saturday Night Live, situated in NYC, lead the way with Executive Producer Lorne Michaels and Mayor Rudy Giuliani doing a comedy sketch on the first show that was broadcast right after the attacks. They told the world that it was OK to keep laughing in spite of what had happened. Everything would still be OK. And it was good theropy.

NOW MY POINT (watch as I creatively pull it all together now): So we need to keep finding and sharing humor (within reason of course) in our own subject. Keep laughing I say. This subject was a good approach and as you can see, many wanted to join in. We all need good theropy once in awhile.

BIG FINISH: By the way, I understand from Steve that his topic at one of the past Surratt Society Assassination Conferences was entitled "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" It's hard not to laugh!
Keep smiling.
Barry
Barry Cauchon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 01:18:01 PM »

Hi Laurie: I have been cartooning for years. I know where our crooked minds go. I'd love to see them next time I'm in town.
Barry
Steven G. Miller

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 07:10:06 PM »

Actually, Barry, "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln" was only a PART of the talk I did on "the Lincoln Assassination in the Popular Culture." I DID crack a few jokes, and show a bunch of cartoons making light of the assassination, but there were other aspects to the talk: political representations, a folk artist who did a series of paintings called "God's Plot and John Wilkes Booth"; a TV series that had a Eisenschiml-inspired motif to it; a brief discussion of collecting Boothiana and relics on the Lincoln Murder; and some of the odd ways that Lincoln and Booth pop up from time to time.
Dave Taylor
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010, 11:23:38 PM »

Since we're posting on the lighter side of the assassination, the TV show Family Guy has twice shown their ideas of how the assassination went down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWd6TW6u0g0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7WCBD49MQc
Mr Hess

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2010, 05:39:18 PM »

You refer to an ex-girlfriend as a "sockdologizing old man-trap"!!
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2010, 05:45:19 PM »

ah, hahaha!

"It was a walking graveyard"
LincolnMaster
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2010, 05:55:04 PM »

Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2010, 06:04:13 PM »

Now that's pretty damn good LincolnMaster!

"It was a walking graveyard"
Mr Hess

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2010, 06:05:29 PM »

where is that from??
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2010, 07:54:16 PM »

Excellent points Dave.  Booth's deed and his escape attempt have been romantacized as if they were a play being acted out. But in truth he was a murdering, racist  who walked up behind another person and shot him in the back of the head. His own death, by all accounts was that of suffering quite awhile before checking out. (That Karma thing, well you know what it is...)

Powell is another of the crew, often described as acting stoic, during his trial, and right up to when the floor dropped out from under him.  What kind of man is it who enters someones house  during the middle of the night and does his best impression of treating him like a human pin cushion while he is lying in his bed? That Karma thing caught up with him as well, as his death by all accounts was not quick, and it looked as though he was doing stomach crunches. (albeit with his neck attached to a hope)
Mr Hess

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2010, 05:00:10 AM »

I like Mr. Hess already because his avatar shows him jogging down the hill from Surratt House!

Thank you Laurie!
My girlfriend took that pic when we went on the excellent JWB escape tour in April 2010
and I'm glad I found this excellent site!! Smiley
historynut1123

A modern-day Lew!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2010, 07:32:03 AM »

You are right, Dan. Like some of my Facebook friends like to say, karma's a b....!

Thanks to Randal, (he sent me his old copy) I have been slowly reading the fictional Lincoln novel by Gore Vidal. Although not historically accurate, I just can't get over Lincoln's legendary humor and the way he looked on the light side of things. So when you think of it, like Barry said, making jokes about this kind of subject matter is therapeutic but also, isn't that what Lincoln would do?

"But hark! The doorbell rings and Mr.J.W. Booth is announced. And listen to the scamperings. Such brushing and fixing."-letter of John Surratt, observing sister Anna
Dave Taylor
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2010, 09:11:31 PM »

I've never read a book exclusively about Lincoln.  When I tell people I'm interested in the assassination, they generally take it to mean I'm interested in everything about Lincoln.  A lot of people have bought or lent me Lincoln books, but I've never read anything but the last chapter or so.  Is it weird that his death is the only thing that interests me?
Rob Wick

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 08:31:09 AM »

I have approximately 300 books on Lincoln and only a small number on those deal with his assassination. Personally, I prefer to study more than just his murder, but I also believe that it is just as legitimate a subject as his time as president-elect or his views on slavery or whatever. So Dave, count me among the number who say if it's weird, then I'm weird too (quiet, Randal).

Best'
Rob

Using the internet since the 1990s to avoid actually getting something accomplished.
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 03:04:50 PM »

I've found a home... My wife recently commented that all you read about is Lincoln's assasination as of late.  She is right, but based on some of these comments maybe I'm not losing it. I do also enjoy reading other Lincoln non assasination books as well. "Lincoln President Elect" by Holzer I really enjoyed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: