SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: New to the board? Introduce yourself!  (Read 21821 times)
historynut1123

A modern-day Lew!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 10:31:18 AM »

Welcome Mr. Swampoodle!

"But hark! The doorbell rings and Mr.J.W. Booth is announced. And listen to the scamperings. Such brushing and fixing."-letter of John Surratt, observing sister Anna
scuffyblacksod

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 11:30:04 PM »

Hello, Scuffy Blacksod is my pen name.  I am 67 and have been an avid historian since childhood. I have written an unpublished historical novel, "The Breakers of Barnegat" along with published short stories and poetry.  I have been studying the gamut of unanswered questions regarding the Lincoln case, since grammar school and am no closer than I was 50 years ago.  I am an egregious bookaholic who has been put on the 12 step plan by my wife. Cry
kyoung

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 11:48:40 AM »

My name is Kevin R. Young. Have always had an intrest in the Civil War and Lincoln (thanks to my father's great interest) but have spent most of my proffessional career working in Texas History with forcus on Jacksonian Period, Mexican history and US Mexican War. Many years ago, a friend of mine played John St. Helen in a play at the Granbury Opera House and that led to me doing a chapter in a book called Unsolved Texas Mysteries on the whole Booth/St. Helen/Bates deal (which I would love to go back an update as continued research would allow me to question some sources and conculsions). So, thanks to that, I have an interest in the whole assasination history.

I look forward to the discussions...

Kevin R. Young
kyoung

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »

Welcome aboard Kevin.  One of our members, Bill Richter, will love conversing with you even offline.  Texas history, the Jacksonian Period, etc. are some of his specialties.

Anything but how did Davy die...!

Kevin R. Young
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 07:34:34 PM »

Welcome Mr. Young!

I hope you enjoy this site, feel free to ask or answer any questions, etc.

Randal Berry
Webmaster/Janitor

"It was a walking graveyard"
JohnE
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 09:55:34 PM »

Hey Kevin !  I think you and I used to work together at the IMAX in San Antonio.  Are you still involved as a living historian ?
JosephGeringer

Author, Actor, Long-Time "Boothie"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 01:22:38 AM »

Hi all, I'm Joe Geringer and, in researching, have come across this extremely fascinating and information-filled site quite by mistake. I look forward to interacting with the knowledgeable folks who comprise this and hope to be a contributing member. I have several Booth-related projects in the works and have published several items on the subject. My interest is the Surratt family -- both their involvement in the episode and the domestic world in which they lived. I have completed a novel on the assassination as well as three-act drama focusing on the Junius Brutus Booth family of Bel Air, MD
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 05:44:10 AM »

Welcome Mr. Geringer!

chicks

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 03:42:09 PM »

I am new to this board but am very interested in the research on Laura Ida Elizabeth Booth who claims to be John Willkes Booth's daughter.  She was married to Lewis A. Howard in my hometown of Hoopeston, Illinois so would like to find more information on her and a death date.
kyoung

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 09:22:50 AM »

Welcome friend Carol.

Kevin R. Young
Deb54

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 06:48:08 PM »

Hello to everyone.  I am happy to find this forum because I have had an avid interest in the history of the Confederacy and John Wilkes Booth since I was a child (let's just say that spans several decades).   I am in awe of the knowledge represented here,  I will certainly do more listening than talking and savor the privilege  of learning from you all. 

I would like to pose a question if you don't mind.  In Theodore Roscoe' s Web of Conspiracy one of the photos found in JWB's wallet is captioned "unidentified woman".  She is very attractive and I have always wondered who she could be.  Roscoe's book is the only source I have seen listing this woman's photo among those found with Booth.  Does anyone know who she could be ? 
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 07:01:53 PM »

Welcome!

I like Roscoe's book, but I don't know the answer, someone will come along and answer it for you, I'm sure.

Welcome aboard!

Roger Norton
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 08:32:22 AM »

Ella Turner Nellie Starr? Sarah Slater Kate Thompson?

To show the board my lack of knowledge on this topic I don't know if those are two women, three women, or four women. I might have even read that Jacob once used the alias "Kate." Indeed I am comfused. Oh well.

(Randal, before you jump on me for these wild guesses...I do recall your quote from October 26, 2009 - "If Sarah Slater performed as an exotic dancer, her career was short-lived.
I have seen a picture of her, and she's a skank-a-saurus. ")

I have not seen a photo of Sarah Slater. Where can I see one?

Some folks may not have Roscoe's book, and I scanned the photo of the unidentified woman. The scan is poor but here she is:

Deb54, like Randal, I have no idea who she is. The book says it's a National Park Service photo; I will make an attempt to research it. I agree with you that I have not seen this woman in any
book other than Roscoe's. Thanks for bringing this up; like you I have wondered about it for many years.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:41:24 PM by Roger Norton » Logged
Deb54

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 09:16:54 AM »

Thanks Roger.  Part of me wants it to be Ella, mostly I hope that someone finds out who she was.   Just one of the many questions the I hope we find the answer to someday. 
Roger Norton
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 11:50:12 AM »

To make things more complicated there is the matter of Kate Scott. There is a picture of her when she was older here.

The closing sentence on that page says, "Kate's personal relationship with John Wilkes Booth in Washington, DC., during the winter of 1864 -1865, is the subject of current research."

Any chance the picture in Roscoe's book is a young Kate Scott?

Of course we also must clarify whether Helen Western was really Kate Scott and Fanny Brown was really Izola Booth (mother of Ogarita).

I am indeed confused, and hopefully someone can help clarify things on all these many ladies in Booth's life.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 05:19:25 PM by Roger Norton » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: