SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: New to the board? Introduce yourself!  (Read 21784 times)
LincolnMaster
« on: July 19, 2010, 03:16:58 PM »

New to the board?  Introduce yourself!
Steven G. Miller

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 05:33:31 AM »

Yes, please tell us what's on your mind. Those of us who have been doing this for a while don't know all the answers, or probably don't know all the questions. I've learned a lot from the new friends who have posted on the Forum. New info, new questions and new points of view are refreshing and I look forward to what you have to say.
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 07:55:44 AM »

Hello,

I'm new to the board. I'm glad I found this. I have just recently became interested in the topic, and came across this website.  I just finished the Lincoln Assasination Crime & Punishment Myth & Memory.. I enjoyed it.  I really want to go on the Suratt Societys Escape route Tour but it sells out quicker then I can get a deposit check to them  Smiley Has anybody been on it... What did you like? what could have been better?
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 10:01:01 AM »

Welcome Dan!

Yes, I have been on the JWB Escape Tour, and it ROCK'S!

I had to put un-marked 100 dollar bill's in an envelope and send it to Laurie Verge, in order to guarantee a seat on the bus.  Roll Eyes

Just Kidding! Yes, it's always books quickly, so send your $ in early when they make the announcement of their website.

What could have been better? hmmm, a little longer time at Captains Billy's on Pope Creek, the food is great and the beer was cold! Grin

"It was a walking graveyard"
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 10:06:15 AM »

Thanks for the reply Randal. I'll just have to be a little quicker with the mail. Captain Billy's sounds good, as I magine there is a bit of walking, I'm sure I'll work up a good thirst... (Hopefully it's on the return trip) Grin
John Stanton

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 02:50:57 PM »

Has anyone ever developed a "self-guided" escape route tour? Not everyone is free to go on the day selected for the Surratt tour. Not everyone can fit on the busses. Maybe you want to spend more time in one location than another. Maybe you need more time to spend at Billies. This self-guided tour may exclude you from some building that is closed, but the self-guided tour could offer alternative sites to visit - Robert E. Lee's home, James Monroe's birth place, Billies, Cawood's Camp, Indian Town Farm, etc. etc. I live in the middle of all this. I could provide pictures of all sites (so you will know when you get where you are going.) I can show you where "The Trap" was.
Anyone want to take this on? If there is a "Self-guided tour" available, maybe we can inprove on it. Any ideas?
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 04:30:23 PM »

well, my wife damn near divorced me when i went one on, instead of taking her to Europe!  Grin

But it was well worth it  Wink

John Stanton

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 02:34:18 PM »

et al   Sometimes it is not the cost. It could be the day. It could be the bus. It coulde be the "other half". BUT it can be done. If you arrive in this area to accomplish another task, unexpectedly, you could work in an abbreviated tour. The landmarks are always there, to be seen.
Dave Taylor
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 05:27:22 PM »

Laurie,

I was a little late renewing my Surratt Society subscription because I was moving and getting ready for school.  I sent it to the P.O. box becasue that was the address on the blue form.  My check hasn't been cashed yet, and after reading this, I wanted to make sure it didn't get lost.  Could you see if you got it?  I upped myself from a regular to a lifetime member so I want to make sure those big bucks made it your way.
Dave Taylor
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 08:05:32 PM »

So, since I'm a life member now, is my membership card made of gold?  Or perhaps to throw off counterfeiters you added a watermark of Mrs. Surratt?
Conspirator9
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 04:14:30 PM »

Well I'm new to the board but not to the story!  But I'm always up for learning something new.  In scanning through this section I saw someone mention they know where "The Trap" was/is that's the one spot I'd really like to find.  Any help would be great!
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 11:57:58 AM »

Welcome aboard Lindsey!  Smiley

swampoodle

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 09:52:29 AM »

New to the board.  My expertise is very narrow:  the assassination and Gonzaga College, then around the corner from Ford's.  See my web site for book I wrote on subject

www.Gonzagalincoln.com
nybronc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 04:44:21 PM »

Swampoodle---I ordered your book today,especially after my wife's visiting nurse told me that her Father went to the school !!!!!!Welcome and enjoy !!!!!---Herb Swingle
kdtdo
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 12:59:17 AM »

Wish I had found you guys when I was living in Warrenton, VA.  Now I am living in Washington state.  I have long held an interest in the Lincoln assasination as family legend has it that my one of my ancestors was in the orchestra that night.  I have inherited the violin that he is purported to have played played.  As a genealogist I require source documentation before perpetuating a myth.  I saw earlier a list of the employees of the Fords theatre at that time which included some of the Orchestra players.  The name I am looking for would be Effingham Townley Bower or perhaps another Bower.  I wrote to the Park service many years ago and they said there ws no such record of orchestra members that night.  While the list I saw in this website did not contain a Bower, I was curious to know if other fragmentary lists exist which might have that information.  My ancestor fought for the union, lived in Washington DC at the time and worked as a Capital Policeman.

Otherwise, what a great idea for a website and I can't wait to return to the east and hopefuly get on a Surrat tour of Booth's escape.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: