SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trivia  (Read 112995 times)
Barry Doohan

View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: June 21, 2012, 09:24:05 AM »

Is this tre hat from the Taper collection that is in the AL Library at Springfield?
BoothBuff
« Reply #1891 on: June 21, 2012, 11:02:45 AM »

No, Barry, that is the one in the Smithsonian. What's unique about the Taper hat is that you can see two distinct wear marks on the brim from Lincoln's two fingers. The hair wore off from him doffing it so many times.
     There is also a hat at Hildene, Robert Todd Lincoln's home in Vt. It's almost pristine and can be seen at their webpage - www.hildene.org. Robert saved it and a mirror from the White House he was sure Lincoln looked in just before he departed for Ford's.
     When I was taking the tour at Hildene one time, a tour guide stated they believe Lincoln owned 7 hats. I think only these 3 are authenticated. How they know that, I don't know. They also stated they believe the hat they have was the one Lincoln wore to Gettysburg.

** Scratch the Hildene link. They no longer have a photo of the hat on the web page. Here it is.    
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:40:59 PM by BoothBuff » Logged
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: June 30, 2012, 06:22:13 PM »

What does Alexander Gardner and Earl Rose have in common?

"It was a walking graveyard"
BoothBuff
« Reply #1893 on: June 30, 2012, 08:07:38 PM »

I remember Dr. Earl Rose's name because he was supposedly held at gunpoint after he refused to release the body of President Kennedy after his assassination. Dr. Rose was the coroner in Dallas at the time and stated state law demanded an autopsy be performed in Texas.
     Gardner was present at Booth's autopsy and Rose did the autopsy on Oswald. (I think) Did I win?
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: June 30, 2012, 08:34:42 PM »

Sorta. Both Rose and Gardner were present at the respected assassins autopsy's, and no, Rose was not held at gunpoint to release Kennedy's body to the fed's.

What they had in common was, both took photographs of the assassins, while on the table being autopsied.

And no, you didn't win Cheesy

BoothBuff
« Reply #1895 on: July 01, 2012, 08:06:07 AM »

I think I did win. Gardner and Rose were both present at the autopsies of the assassins. Until you can produce the supposed picture Gardner took - I win.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: July 01, 2012, 08:29:50 AM »

Judge Advocate Holt was also present at the autopsy of Booth, but he didn't take pictures.
I'll give you half the prize because I wasn't specific Wink Gardner's profession was photography, Rose's was as an a medical examiner, but both took photographs of the assassins.

Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: July 01, 2012, 06:26:19 PM »

Who is this ?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:29:27 PM by Joe Gleason » Logged
BoothBuff
« Reply #1898 on: July 01, 2012, 07:34:27 PM »

I can't think of her name, but was she a servant to the Booth's at Tudor Hall?
Barry Doohan

View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: July 02, 2012, 07:09:10 AM »

How about Ann Hall (of Tudor Hall)?
Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: July 02, 2012, 09:05:08 AM »

No, but she did work for one of the other conspirators.
Houmes

View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: July 02, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »

Who is this ?

Mary Swann, servant to Samuel Cox.
Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: July 02, 2012, 05:43:44 PM »

No, Dr. Houmes, it isn't Mary Swann, although they do resemble each other a little bit. Since this might be a tough one, I'll give the name of the woman and maybe someone can guess which Charles County farm she lived on.  Smiley    ....it is a rarely seen photograph.

"When the Yankees rode through looking for Booth, they threw chickens, ducks
                                                                                                                    and down into the well".

Caroline Wade

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:17:43 AM by Joe Gleason » Logged
Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: July 03, 2012, 03:03:13 PM »

Sad no prize today...

Answer:
Caroline Wade was one of Dr. Mudd's sevants. She moved away from his plantation after the war and found employment at Spye Park Farm near White Plains.
Ms. Wade later told the owner Mary Padgett Dement that she remembered seeing John Wilkes Booth the day after the assassination and also of the treatment by federal soldiers.

However, there are some who believe that there is no evidence to support this claim made by qualified professionals.

Sources; Professor Julia King, St. Mary's College
            Professor  Christine Arnold- Lourie, Coll. Of So. Md.
            Historian Susan Shaffer, Coll. of So. Md.
Authors of Pathways to History, Charles County MD.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:02:29 AM by Joe Gleason » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127]
  Print  

Jump to: