SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever find a book you wanted but couldn't afford?  (Read 560 times)
Rob Wick

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2010, 09:50:38 AM »

When I was recently in Springfield, I found what was called a "salesman's copy" of Sandburg's "The Prairie Years." It was a bound sample of selected chapters of Sandburg's book which Harcourt salesmen would take to bookstores to promote the book. I immediately wanted it, but then I saw the price--$90! Needless to say, it didn't come home with me (even though to this day I'm tempted to call back up there and see if they still have it).

It got me to wondering. Has there ever been a book you've wanted but couldn't justify the cost (and expect to maintain a somewhat happy home)?

Best
Rob

Using the internet since the 1990s to avoid actually getting something accomplished.
Roger Norton
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 11:31:09 AM »

Yes, many.  One was Memorial Record of the Nation's Tribute to Abraham Lincoln by Benjamin Franklin Morris.  I believe the original was published in 1866, and I could never find a copy for less than $200.  Then in 2009 General Books came out with a very generic paperback version, and I purchased a copy for about $20. Marriage happy, although she still thinks I watch way too much football and golf on TV.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:36:41 AM by Roger Norton » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: