Southern Marylanders

(1/3) > >>

yagerdog:
Much has been written and discussed over the years of the Confederate sympathies in Southern Maryland, particularly when pertaining to the conspirators in the Lincoln assassination.  But realistically what benefit could such sympathizers(not just the conspirators) in the area expect or hope to reap, especially later in the war when Maryland secession was no longer a possibility? 

Randal:
Great question! But I'll defer that to Laurie Verge, since she grew up in Southern Maryland.
Paging Laurie!

rich smyth:
Looking beyond states rights, slavery etc., change was inevitable and if the Civil War had not occurred when it did some other history changing event would have evolved to create change. We must remember that at the time the Constitution was created (by rich, land owning white Americans) it offered no rights to the majority of those living in the country - women, slaves, Indians and white indentured servants who wanted change and were participating in slave and farmers revolts and mechanic strikes in every state demanding land and better wages.
A revolution was brewing and change was coming. The Civil War was just the begining of constitutional amendments, land reform and better working conditions over the coming decades. The Constitution, originally written to protect the economics of our founding fathers, has evolved to protect the rights of all citizens.
Much like the American Revolution, the Civil War was fought by the common man. Those with money, land or power bought their way out of the conflict yet wished the economic picture to remain the sam- land and money controlled by the privileged few.

John Stanton:
Since I grew up in the coal fields of NE Penna., I studied the Molly McGuires and labor unions. We didn't have time for the Civil War. But lately I have been catching up on what is really important, and this post gives me an opportunity to ask a question.  Maryland freed their slaves long before the rest of the country had the Emancipation Proclamation. There was an agreement between the Slave holders and the Maryland government, that the slave holders would be compensated for the loss of their slaves.  Then along comes the Emancipation, and the Federal Government negates the existing agreement. Were Southern Marylanders expected to say Thank you - with a smile? And then the Federal recruiters enlisted these "re-freed" slaves to fight against Marylanders. This is my question. Did the Federal Government or Maryland ever honor the cantract to compensate the slave holders? Did the Federals expect to keep the suport of these people, and treat them this way? Was Maryland thought of as a Northern State?  This had to lead to problems not experienced in any other Northern State. (Bear in mind that the emancipation freed those slave in States then in rebellion  - Northern slave were not freed).

John Stanton:
Laurie. I am showing my ignorance of Maryland's problems - I didn't know what "Manumission" meant. My education continues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page