SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Booth's layovers  (Read 7540 times)
Roger Norton
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 12:46:06 PM »

The following comments are not mine. Rather they were included in some material sent to me several years ago. I do not believe the author is a historian, but her thoughts bear relation to what is being discussed:

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Mosby’s name was linked to the assassination at the time (Stanton believed he was involved) and even to this day, certain persons studying the matter believe that Mosby was in fact involved albeit, they are not able to give any direct evidence other than several seemingly odd events involving Mosby at the time of the assassination itself. Of course, there is the presence of a former Ranger, Lewis Powell as an actual part of Booth’s cabal. I also believe that in an article after the war, Confederate Secret Service chief Thomas Conrad implicated Mosby in the matter though in his later book, no such charge was made.

There was also the odd matter of two of Mosby’s men meeting and accompanying Booth and Herald to Garrett’s farm, William Jett and another man.

Certainly I know that Mosby is involved in what was supposedly another plot to kill Lincoln and his Cabinet using explosives in the basement of the White House. Mosby was sent an explosives expert named Thomas Harney whom he was instructed to insert into the Capitol where Harney with the help of agents already on the ground, was to gain entrance to the White House basement through a greenhouse that existed at the time and detonate a bomb. The story behind this is as incredible as the charges brought against Mosby at war’s end which suddenly “disappeared” for no discernible reason."

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:02:03 PM by Roger Norton » Logged
Roger Norton
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 04:53:55 PM »

Yes, and there is no doubt of her strong interest in researching the Gray Ghost.
Dave Taylor
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 10:23:12 PM »

Mary Surrat dies.  Ha, I ruined the ending for you all!  And without even a spoiler alert.  What a jerk, I am.

But seriously, I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts, Laurie.
wild bill

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »

A couple of remarks on a couple of items, from my as usual, weak and hare-brained mind.

I do not know if anyone answered the gentleman's earlier question about Booth's layover in Newburgh, NY. It is in Tidwell's April '65, pages 142 and 144. Booth stopped at Newburgh (as Rich said) or Poughkeepsie (from my Last Confederate Heroes, I, 213) to see Confederate agent Robert Edwin Coxe, who was going up to North Conway, NH, to set up a rail connection between Canada and the Maine Coast at Portland. It was the way that Jacob Thompson escaped to Europe after President A Lincoln said, " them all go," meaning the country would be better without having to prosecute everyone. What they said no one knows. But Coxe was at his in-laws house en route to North Conway and Booth stayed there briefly.

Which brings us (in my obtuse way of thinking) to Rick Smith and the Owen's statement. All y'all should be forewarned that Rick Smith and I are good personal and history friends who agree on nearly everything related to Booth the Lincoln Assassination and the escape. I do not know who is the sycophant of whom, but happy to take second place to him. In any case, we have a different view in many matters from the established, accepted view, well-represented by Swanson et al.

"This way" is a vague statement that can be referenced in many ways, not to Bryantown exclusively as Joe Gleason and Laurie Verge posit. It probably refers to wherever Owens was at the time, ie, the Adams' Tavern, rather than the interview. Going in the direction of Bryantown could mean little more than up the road until the parties disappeared from Owen's view. Maybe he lied to keep the Adams family (pun not intended) from harm.

Since Wells was in Bryantown interviewing, would he not have torn the whole place up for miles around seeking the animals if he believed Bryantown was indicated? With whom were the horses going to wind up with in Bryantown? (suggestions willingly accepted). They were somewhere else--disguised, in a corral at Adams' place in Newport as Rick Smith states. But Wells did not see this as a possibility. He thought they were dead in the swamp, or alive with Booth and Herold in the swamp. And that is exactly where legions of Yankee soldiers, black and white, scoured for them to no avail. As an aside, whether or not the horses lived or died, any horse bones, stirrups, or whatever one finds nowadays is merely evidence that people lived in this area of Southern Maryland for 200 years before Booth hid there.

Let's remember that most of this is speculation on all our parts, but that Rick Smith has specific names as well as places to reinforce his argument. The Owens statement has never made sense to anyone before, even men as wise on the assassination and escape as J.O.Hall, by his own admission. Rick Smith has a plausible theory, that deserves more thought than where "This way" was. If I remember correctly, Owens died in the Old Capitol or shortly after his release. Reminds one of another black man, Oswell Swann, who was thoroughly beaten up and released. He did no more than tell the truth as did Owens. But in Owens' case, the authorities could not cope with Owens' truth because it did not fit the already established narrative that has not been changed much since.

Sorry to intrude on the established narrative again--nah, not really!
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 07:37:21 PM »

I always thought it was Robey and Herold who led those horses to the swamp?

"It was a walking graveyard"
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 09:16:09 AM »

Thanks for the article and map Joe. Interesting.
Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 12:55:56 PM »

For more on Booth's and Herold's horses go here.... http://lincoln-assassination.com/bboard/index.php?PHPSESSID=044d688ad9e3db6c6fb7e40bf13d2920&topic=1932.0

http://lincoln-assassination.com/bboard/index.php?topic=2408.0

....and here  http://lincoln-assassination.com/bboard/index.php?topic=102.0

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 05:33:18 AM by Joe Gleason » Logged
rich smyth

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 09:58:47 AM »

Hi Joe,

Very interesting and very good argument for the shooting of the horses. Did you find the items you posted pics of or did the farmer? I do not know the area but if it is a swamp how else would the items be left there?
Dave Taylor
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 10:50:27 AM »

Joe,

You've always had me convinced that something happened on Mr. Watson's farm, and this was a great way to lay out everything you have.  If Cox Jr's statment is correct, then I believe you have found the spot where the horses died.  Whether that is their tack, I don't know but it's certainly cool enough to hang on to.  Keep up the good work Mr. Gleason.
Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 11:03:53 AM »

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:48:28 PM by Joe Gleason » Logged
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »

Joe,
What type of metal is the stirrups made from? Cast? Or heated steel? I meant, cast iron.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:13:41 PM by Randal » Logged

Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 05:00:15 PM »

Randal,
The stirrup is cast iron.

If it is cast iron, and 150+ years old, it would be disintegrated by rust, attributed by the tannins (tannic acid) in the swamp Joe. Alloys with a higher than 2.1% carbon content are known as cast iron because of their lower melting point and castability. Cast iron also breaks easily if it hit's a hard object. Wrought iron was the standard in the day for stirrups. These were heated by high heat and hammered out. I seriously doubt those stirrups are 150 years old if they are indeed cast iron. I know a little bit about this from a welding class I took years ago and we had to study metallurgy. Wink

Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 06:03:19 PM »

I am just guessing here, but if Herold wanted to go riding with a lady and wanted an english saddle, wouldn't Fletcher just put the smaller "ladies" stirrups on the english saddle? I don't think we are dealing with a side saddle here. No sir, not Davey! Help me out here Betty. Herold told Fletcher that he was going to ride with a lady but only rented one horse, would that mean that Herold and the lady were riding the same horse?

Laurie,
I thought it was a button because it is only the size of a dime. I found a comparison made by The Waterbury Button Company.

Randal,
There is obvious and severe deterioration of theses relics.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:49:02 PM by Joe Gleason » Logged
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 06:45:18 PM »

Joe,
Tannins leach into fresh water, salt water or brackish water. However, tannins are neutralized by the salt content or salinity. Tannins do the most damage in fresh water. Also the pH content, (and I haven't tested it,) in the Zechkia, would be very low almost off the chart from 7, which is neutral. I would bet probably a pH reading of 3, (in the swamp) which would be very acidic, and that accelerates rusting. Plus you factor in temperature fluxes, and ice/snow in the swamp along with the time factor of how long it had been immersed in the swamp.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 06:51:13 PM by Randal » Logged

Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 07:13:21 PM »

Neil Young said it best: "Rust Never Sleeps"  Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: