SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW BOOK: "Shall We Gather At The River"  (Read 8256 times)
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2011, 07:17:08 PM »

Available February 17, 2011
...."A rare early memoir from a minor, albeit important player in the the plot to kill President Abraham Lincoln.  The Unwritten History of the Assassination by Richard Smoot is republished here in its original 1908 form, with informative and enlightening annotations by intrepid Lincoln Assassination researcher, Randal Berry. Smoot's personal confession of his role in John Wilkes Booth's early plans to kidnap Lincoln provides an unusual glimpse into the secret rebel networks throughout Southern Maryland that supported Booth's scheme.  A reminder that the eight co-conspirators who were tried and convicted for Lincoln's assassination were only part of the story...and the rest got away with the crime of the century."

Kate Clifford Larson

Price: $16.50 plus $3.00 shipping and handling.

Send check or Money Order to:

Randal Berry
P.O. Box 191866
Little Rock, AR 72219

Roger Norton
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 04:08:24 AM »

Randal, just a personal note to say congratulations on your Smoot book. I have learned a lot from you over the past 5-10 years, mostly on the ALO Mailbag but now over a year on this board. I expect to continue learning through reading this book. I am just feeling happy for you as it must give you a good feeling of pride as you look at the cover of something you worked so hard on. Kudos.

Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:35:28 AM »

Great job and congratulations Randal.  I'm looking forward to reading a book that I know I'm gonna like.  Don't forget to autograph my copies!  Grin
Rob Wick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:44:20 PM »

Glad to see it Randal.

Using the internet since the 1990s to avoid actually getting something accomplished.
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 08:45:20 PM »

Congrats Randal. I look forward to reading it.
Steven G. Miller

Thanks, Bob!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 02:47:43 PM »

Randal,
Just got my copy of your book. I worked in the graphic arts/editorial field for over 20 years and have to say that I was impressed with the layout and overall style of the piece. A job well done! Thanks for asking me to provide a Foreword and I'm also "looking forward" to working with you on other projects.

Boothie buddies; this is a "must have" for your library.
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 05:09:23 PM »

Thank you Steve and everyone for the kind comments!
If after you have read it and liked it, please go here:

http://www.amazon.com/Shall-Gather-River-Unwritten-Assassination/dp/1885209657/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298070376&sr=8-2

And review it!

Thank you very much!

Randal Berry
Janesinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 05:40:51 PM »

Congratulations, Randal!

I rememebr some years ago James O. Hall told let me read his copy. It was then I decided Frederick Stone was certainly involved.

I'll be ordering!!!

Jane
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 07:25:51 PM »

Jane,
Thanks, and order it from Laurie !
nybronc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 08:19:01 AM »

I just finished reading the book and I could not put it down! Randal does a stupendous job of making you feel that you are actually there.This book is a "must read"for anyone interested in historical "truths".It also sparks a renewed investigation into the John Surratt trial.
historynut1123

A modern-day Lew!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 07:18:45 AM »

Couldn't remember where Randal's address to order was, but now I found it!

I will be ordering one soon, after you get back from the conference!  Smiley

"But hark! The doorbell rings and Mr.J.W. Booth is announced. And listen to the scamperings. Such brushing and fixing."-letter of John Surratt, observing sister Anna
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 05:13:58 PM »

Julie,
Thanks, but I don't have them anymore. My copies went to Laurie and Amazon. Order one thru Laurie though, let's keep this in the "family" so to speak!

Laurie wants me to sign the remaining copies, and if you want me to sign one personally to you, be sure to tell Laurie and she'll hold one back for you.

Randal
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:15:37 PM by Randal » Logged
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 07:28:07 PM »

I had an "alert" from Amazon tonight, and lo' an behold, a"review' from a friend of mine that lives in Germany now,  (I haven't seen her in a few yrs, and she's an author of  "Stolen World", a book about reptiles and smugglers, this is a true acct.) Anyway, she bought my book and panned it for Amazon.

By Jennie E. Smith - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)    Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: Shall We Gather At The River: The Unwritten History Of The Assassination Of Abraham Lincoln (Paperback)
I am not a reader familiar with the vast world of Lincoln assassination history; I bought this book because I have known the author for 10 years and was curious. That said, I believe Berry has done a service by bringing this compelling, complete, small and yet enormous story to light. Richard Smoot sold his boat to, and otherwise aided, members of John Wilkes Booth's conspiracy team when the plot was still to kidnap, not kill, the president. He was never tried. Though Smoot dictated his account decades after the event, he is an able, compelling narrator and his story is in itself is an adventure - anyone familiar with Washington today will marvel at how wild the Potomac banks were then and how perilous a night crossing was -- with a sense of doom running through it all (underscored by Berry's ominous title). Smoot's account is complete with telling asides, such as the tense, strange way Mary Surratt received him when he arrived at her parlor, and later, his discomfort at being guarded by black soldiers. Smoot's account rings honest (though Berry does a good job, in his separate essay, of pointing out inconsistencies). Finding a complete historical narrative, told by its own actor, is like finding gold - and in marrying Smoot's all-but-lost statement with his expert commentary Berry has created something more valuable still.

Mark

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 08:05:09 PM »

I ordered from The Surratt Museum and it arrived quickly last week. I enjoyed it Randal.

I also enjoyed Smoot saying that Mrs. Surratt told him he could meet John Surratt in Washington on April 14th.

Good Job, Randal!
Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 08:10:32 PM »

Thank you! Mark!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: